Forum home Babies Twins & multiples

rough play - twins! how to stop it

Hi
My girls are now 16 months and getting more lively by the day. They play together really well & do love each other. They can sit there just chuckling away at each other which really makes me laugh. However recently they are tending to get a bit rough with each other (!). e.g. if one wants the toy that the other has, she'll yank it off her, prompting a slap in the face from the other one. Literally they'll hit each other in the face, grab at eyes, scratch etc. That sounds really bad as if they're always like that - they're not, it's just when they flare up. I guess it's asserting independence but how do you deal with it when they're so small? Elizabeth has also been known to bite her sister. Fortunately she does it in slow motion (mouth wide open, slow lunge.....) so I can usually intercept it, but again would love tips on how to deal with it. I usually say no firmly, move Elizabeth away & give comfort Grace (if she has been bitten). Is that right?

They have got me sussed though - my attempt at discipline is to say no firmly & I obviously must also point my finger while I'm doing it. Whenever I say no now, they just stop & point at me - and then promptly carry on...... hey ho.:roll:

Emma

Replies

• hi
    i have boy / girl twins and they are going through this stage too.
    they are 14 months.
    i am doing what you say you are doing - and i also touch the naughty one on the nose...
    mine have been getting better - but they now both tend to gang up on their 3 year old sister - pulling out handfuls of her hair....
    ho hum another day another problem eh?
  • Sorry - literally only just logged back on to check replies! Life is busy these days......

Yes another day, another fight! They're not that bad, but they do seem to like scrapping more and more. Hair pulling is the new trick. They also fight over who gets to sit on Mummy, which is quite adorable really but hard work when they're hitting each other to try and get pole position on your lap!! lol.

I guess I'll just keep plugging away until they can actually understand me when i say no!
  • hi there!
    we had a development today with the fighting!
    my 15month old son (twin) pushed his 3 year old sister so hard she fell over!
    they both really cried - as he knew he was really naughty i think.

fast forward to an hour later and ava is singing about how much she loves her brother and sister...!
    KIDS!!!