Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

FAO silverfuge .. R.E ntriprem2

hi im just wondering if you can give me a bit of advice please...
i noticed you had done a post about nurtiprem2 so thought you would be a good person to ask??
my twins were born at 33+6 and are now 37+1 corrected age... since they were born i have been feeding them on EBM but now they are demanding alot more feeds 3oz every 3hours each and im expressing just about 3oz so enough for one of them... the doctor has precribed np2 and advised me to mix there feed so iv been doing 2oz EBM and 1oz np2 but now at the end of my teher as they are not tollerating it .. well olivia is just about sometimes biut gracie really is projectile vomiting so have had to give her just EBM untill i can get to the doctors tommorrow but im finding so difficult expressing enough for both of them,,,
anyway what did your doctor advise you do as i noticed your lo's didnt take very well to it either
advice would be muchly appreciated
thankyou
xxxx

Replies

• Sorry to g/c but just wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear your girls are struggling with the NP2.

NP2 can be quite heavy on their tummies compared to EBM. Formula is harder to digest to start with and then NP2 is heavier than a normal formula due to the extra vitamins,minerals and calories it contains. My girls were sicky on formula but for us, it was a mixture of an immature gut (nothing you can do except wait) and reflux. Our problems didn't really start until the girls were 2 months old and the amount of EBM they were having was less than the amount of NP2.

Another twin mum I know had the same problem with her girls and they were prescribed the ready-mixed liquid NP2 which apparently is slightly easier to digest. Other alternatives are the Easy Digest/Comfort milks.

I hope the doc has some suggestions for you. If you're not happy with the response, get him to call the girls' NICU consultant (they'll have been assigned one when in NICU) and get him to see them in clinic.

Good luck xx
  • Just thought I would reply to this as I might be some help. The boys were born later than your girlies, at 36 + 2, however, they wouldnt suck straight away and were tube fed for a week. They were fed a mixture of EBM and Nutriprem until they were able to fully breastfeed. They were sick all the time but noone in NICU would tell me why, as I dont think they really knew. They would put them on their bellies, which helped a little, and they also thought it might be reflux so they encouraged me to sit them up a little, as well as raise the cot, after a tube feed. It made little difference and the only think that stopped the sickness and bad nappies and uncomfortable-ness (I dont know if your girls are uncomfortable, or have bad nappies, but my boys had the most disgusting nappies!) was when they were fully breastfed.

I did this for the first 7 weeks of their life. They were gaining weight at a rate of knots and I just couldnt keep up so I was going to mix feed them and started with Aptimel. They both came up in a nasty excema type rash, the bad nappies were back and, although they werent sick, they would totally refuse feed. I booked an emergency appointment at the Drs as Alfie took 4oz in 24hrs and spat most of that out!

I eventually was referred to a paed and it was found that they have a milk allergy and silent reflux.

Sorry ive rambled, and I may not have been much help but I would say that you MUST push the dr's to get an answer. I went 5 times in the end, in the space of 2-3 weeks, and was only referred to the paed because of their skin (I was at the end of my tether by then as they just werent eating anything). If the girls lose weight, you'll get somewhere quicker and you need to get somewhere fast but dont give in! GP's are very good at their job but know very little about babies so if it comes to it, demand to see a paed.

HTH hun. Your problem may not be the same as mine, but thought i'd just mention it.

Feel free to ask me anything and ill try and help xxx
  • thankyou for your replies... olivia is managing to tollerate it she hasnt been sick since yesterday morning image although gracie wont even suck a bottle with it in n even the tiyesy bit she swallows she brings it back up so iv keot her on EBM untill i seak to the doctor today!! i rung nicu on staurday nite when they were really bad and they were hopeless :roll: whislt they were in hospital and being tube fed gracie was on eyromitycin( cant spell it very well) they told me this was for refulx because she was sick after every feed imagead: they did the same .. lying boht of ythem on their tummys after a feed but once i was expressing enough for the both of them they were not sick at all image now i feel im going backwards with gracie and feel guilty because im not expressing enouh for the both of them to have full EBM.
    as for the nappoes when they were on full EBM they would with out fail have a dirty nappy after every feed and wind and then settle really well but now olivia really struglles to open her bowels and when she does she gets realy upset imagead:

thankyou very much for your advice
    xxxxx