Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

RE: Ella's Ill

Hey ladies
well as the post says my lil Ella is really ill! She has been TOTALLY fine for ages and ages and then last night i went to give her some tea and she didnt want it so i tried her with some baby rice and rusks she want interested so i left her and tried her again at supper time she wasnt interested didnt hold her cup or anything just like she couldn't be bothered so i thought id bottle feed her as the cups are relatively new i wanted her to have something before bed it took me 30mins to get her to take 4oz milk i was like this isnt right but she fell asleep and i thought she might be coming down with a cold.
So i went to bed as normal and the alarm on the cot went off at 1am (we have the motion sensor pads that detect movement and if they are still for a while the alarm goes off on the monitor so i went running into the nursery and i checked on Ella she was breathing really rapidly and she was pale and really clammy & sweaty i rang an ambulance IMMEDIATE:LY i took her temp it was 39.7 way too high for a 15mnth old. I rang Sam to come and stay with Ruby and my neighbour came and sat with her till he arrived.

As soon as the ambulance got their they did her obs and stuff and but the oxygen tube up her nose and a little thing on her finger....She was scresming when they jabbed her with the needle to put the IV in but it was a pitiful scream like she couldnt manage a loud one and they put fluids up straight away and we went in the ambulance flashing lights and sirens! I was beside myself at this point endless questions off doctors i was saying to them she had been fine didnt want her tea but had been running round playing wth her sister all day no problem.

They whizzed her through to urgent care and a million people were milling round and they took me in anopther room i was shaking by this time and they were trying to calm me down. The nurse was great but i was like i just want to see my baby thats the only thing that will make me better i need to know whats wrong with her....

The next time i saw her there was 1 doctor and 2 nurses in the room Ella was so still and had the ventilator tube in i was like what have you done to her and the doctor said were taking her for scsns and xrays she was struggling to breathe so we sadated and ventiated her. I asked what was wrong he said they didnt know at that stage but she would be going for tests soon trhey had taken blood by this point. At 2:30am she was rushed down for a chest xray and an MRI scan i was pleased she was sadated as the MRI scared me never mind my poor litle girl!

She was taken to childrens ICU then where i sat with her till 7am this morning when the doctor came to see me. 'Ella has Strepcossis Pneumonia, it an aggresive form of bacterial pnemonia which effects the lower respiratory tract, thats why she was having trouble breathing' I was like but shes been fine no cold no cough not anything the doc said the onset of symptoms in bacterial pnemonia happens very quickly but it was good i acted so fast. I was like idont understand she hasnt been anywhere to get cold always wrapped up and dressed and covered at night and Ruby is fine the doc was like its so easy for them to pick up and its highly contagious so if she has touched something that had the bacterisa on it outside or whatever then that could be it he said sometimes it just happens like some ppl get upset stomachs.

They have started Ella on Penicillin and trimethiprin IV antibiotics to fight the bacteria they have took the ventilator out as her sats are looking better but she has the oxygen tube in all the time. She's not sedated but she's very lathargic they are giving her medicine to make her feel better and bring down her temp the doc said her muscles will be aching and she could have abdominal pain as these are all symptoms of pneumonia hopefully she will feel better soon but it takes 1-2 weeks for the bacteria to get out of her system and she ma have a caugh or some effects for up to SIX MONTH Sad
At the moment all i can do is sit beside her because it hurts her when i pick her up or move her as her muscles are sore a bit like when we get flu i guess they feel heavy and things. They have catheterised her so that they dont have to disturb her chnging her nappy and what not.

I just cant believe it yesterday i had a happy healthy toddler and now she is in hospital with oxygen and drips and tubes coming from everywhere and im helpless i cant make her feel better and that really upsets me. I got in touch with her REAL dad felt he had a right to know but he said he couldnt come up to the hospital so i released a little bit of frustartion out on him (nowt he didnt deserve the prick what man cant get to a hospital when one of his daughters was critically ill) We didnt know what was wrong at that point. So i was sat on my own just waiting.

Sam came up about 9am this morning got Ruby's godmother to look after her while he came to be with me and Ella he got a shack when he saw her like bless him. I came home bout 12 ordered to sleep but i cant sleep i just want to be with Ella and then i thought ive got to think of Ruby too so i went and got her from my friends and walked her back and she fell asleep in her pushchair so i was like fine then c;learly missed me ya little madam. \she'll wake up bout 4 i would think and ill spend some time with her she will be so confused to where Ella's gone and you cant explain to a 15mnth old baby that her twin is ill but theyve never been separated at all from them being 6 days old. Im worried she will be resewntful because im going off to see Ella all the time.

Im exhausted but i cant rest, i feel sick as anything and im sure all the worry and stress is not doing my bambino's any good. I just hope Ruby isnt going to get it....
Frown

So thats just an update they have a E room on the ward so ill go on comp there when i can cuz it gets boring being there but you cant leave cuz your thinking what if summit happens to her or whatever.....

So any of you with LO's Pneumonia (bacterial)
Symptoms are very sudden and can include
Rapid breathing
concaving of chest (ie chest dinted in when breathing)
Poor feeding
Abdominal pain
lathargic
aching muscles
High temp
sore throat
If you see these symptoms call a doctor and if they are severe ring 999 not to scareyou but 20% of all infant deaths (infant being under 5 years old) is caused by respiratpry failure caused by infections and 98% of these are caused by Pneumonia there are diff severoities and not all children will be admitted to hospital but if they cant breathe ior feed then they will be admitted for obs and/or treatment. Good hygeine oractice is the best way to prevent it and an air purifier or vapouriser in the bedroom!

Sorry to ramble and i dont mesn to scare an yone but i was looking foir meningitus, septicemia etc but i thgought pnemonia only happened after exposure to cold or after the flu and tere are 2 types of it viral and bacterial (the one ella has altho there are diff forms of that too) If you suspect anything call a medical profession.......
Dont mean to stress anyone just needed it off my chest.......
Thanks for reading
Eve, Ruby, poorly Ella and growing Bambinos xxxxxxxx

Replies

• Options
    Thank you for posting and so sorry to hear Ella is so sick (one of my twins is Ella too! - 14 months)

Amazing how the symptoms come on so quick - I hope she is all better and home with you real soon xx

My other twin had RSV at 6 weeks and spent a night in hospital (it was so scary so I know how you must be feeling)

Take Care x
  • Options
    Hey ladies and babies
    thanks for all the support ive been awake since 5 poor Ella is in so mch pain she was just whimpering from 5 until she could have more painkillers at 7 :/ All i could do was steoke her cheek and hope it helped as she cant stand to be piced up it must hurt her muscles plus i cant move her around cuz of the oxygen and catheter too image My poor little girl hes being brave though...she sbetter when the painkillers are working obv but ive asked to see the doc cuz they are obv not lasting the whole time they shoulod cuz she wakes up in pain so she obv needs summit stronger than what she is getting or needs it more regular im no doctor bt surely they can do this without overdosing her!! I hate to think she is in pain :/ Apparently Ruby has been unsettled over nigh not suprising really she will be wondering where the hell we have all gone and left her! I may have to stay home with Ruby tonight otherwise shes gunna make herself poorly with exhaustion of she wont settle she wouldnt have her tea either but shes ok no temp or owt shes probly just stressed i cant be in two places i wish i could devide myself in half cuz i hate leaving Ella like this but then i cant abandon Ruby! Ruby cant cum in to see Ella while shes like this as pneumonia is contagious i have to wear the mask and gloves and things when i touch her and shes being barrier nursed basically only ppl who NEED to go in do and they wear masks aprons gloves its like summit off the terminator im like shes a baby not a monser but i understabd with it being contagious! How can i explain to Ruby whats happening i dont know if she will understand at 15months shes a little young! This is where i feel awful i have twins because much like when they were born and Ella was in special care i cant be in 2 places so i had to devide time with them and it kills me leaving either of them and its so weird just seeing one of them they are a pair and they belong together! I walked home with Ruby in the single pushchair and i felt like i was missing something its horrendous!! What am i suppsed to do do i stay with my sick daughter or do i go and stay with my healthy daughter to stop her making herself bad with the stress this is not fair!!! My morning sickness is killing me and my back is really playing up probl;y off te camp bed i slept on last night i havent eaten since she was admitted this is all a mess! What do you ladies suggest......xxx
  • Options
    Hi, I've only just seen this, just wanted to say i hope by now she is making some recovery, i was really shocked when i read this, you did great in acting so fast!! I hope both the girls are ok, x