Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Twins

This may sound really weird but do you have to have twins in your family to conceive twins?

i would really love to have twins bt there are none in my family!

i have heard that eating dairy and YAMS (not sure what they are) are ment to help and taking folic tablets 2 to 3 months before u try

Anyone heard of these trick or no any different ones??

Help would be great:lol:

Replies

• Options
    I saw your post on ttc and must say i have to agree with Summer, whilst twins are a blessing the risks of a twin pg can not be underestimated.

However there does seem to be some link between high intake of dairy a least a litre a day and identical twins, but there is no hard scientific evidence to explain the link. (incidently i drink lots and lots of milk and have id twins)

other than that the only real way is to use fertility drugs such as clomid.

good luck on getting your BFP

xxDBxx
  • Options
    the only thing i have read is that twin pregnancies are getting more common due to ppl having ivf and that woman are leaving it later to get pregnant,the older you are the more chances of releasing one or more eggs,i didnt do anything else different on my second pregnany,i was just blessed in getting pregnant with twins. good luck

sarah
  • Options
    You are more likely to have non id twins if they are present in the maternal family. However, id twins are as a result of natural causes. I agree with DB - the risks of twin pregnancies - especially id twins - are high. I did nothing special to be pg with mine and after the most horrendous pregnancy in many ways I am now 24 + 1 and still finding the idea a real struggle.

Statistics suggest that twins make up 1 in 80 births.

Gemma and Double Blue Bump 24 + 1
  • Options
    It's gonna be luck unfortunately hun! If non in your family, they would usually be identical twins (when the egg splits) as this can happen to anyone.

My girls are 6 weeks old now and my pregnancy was considered high risk however everything went really well and I had them naturally (but induced) at 38 weeks.

They are hard work indeed but worth it....

Good luck!! xx
  • Options
    Have to agree about high risk pregnancy. 20 weeks tomorrow & feel I've have hardly been able to enjoy this experience. Constantly worrying about risks!