Forum home Babies Twins & multiples

could it be twins?

hi everyone, i've jumped over from the due in april board as i have a quick question. is it possible to miss twins at a dating scan? (only hav piccie of a singleton thou) only reason i ask is that my hubs has found what seems to be 2 heartbeats with our angel sounds doppler, the 2 heartbeats have a difference of about 10-15bpm, (much too quick to be my own) and i have also been given a high risk factor for downs syndrome from my triple test bloods which i know can sometimes be an indicator of undetected twin pregnancy. any info would be appreciated, i'm 16+4. Rachie xx

Replies

• i would agree with zoey85 if you have got to go back for another scan,ask them and see what there say

sarah
    http://bd.lilypie.com/sg4fp1/.png

• Sorry I would have to agree with the others... I saw my twins on my first early scan at 6+5, then at 10+6, and at 13. Also my heartbeat and the babies are all different but dont vary a great deal either, I can always pick my own up aswell as theirs.

Em 24+1 x
  • I don't have twins, but it could well just be 1 very active baby in there - my son used to be all over the place when we tried to find him with the doppler. Also, when I went in for monitering a couple of times, the amount of variation in the heartrate was actually quite surprising. Cole's hb was usually around 140-160 when i counted, or when the mw checked but being monitored for half an hour had it ranging from around 90 to 170!

Having said that - if I remember rightly there was someone on here who didn't find out till 20 weeks that she was having twins.

• it can happen if 2nd baby is led behind first but it usually only gets missed if the scan was before 12 weeks. If you are carrying twins it will def be picked up at the 20 week scan xxDBxx
  • my twins were noticed at a scan at 6 weeks huni xx