Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

T1 head down but T2 head up . . . update!!

Hi,

Update - well my little girl turned! So both babies are head down & ready to go! Am 36 + 3 today and am hoping it will all 'kick off' naturally soon as otherwise I will be booked in to be induced at 38 weeks . . .

It doesn't feel like they have much space left in there but they must be comfortable enough! I've had more signs that things will happen soon than I ever had with my dd so fingers crossed

Lisa

At my 30 week scan yesterday, twin 1 (boy) s head down, in perfect position for a natural delivery. But, twin 2 (girl) is head up, with her feet tucked behind his head.

I have my consultant appointment on thursday (have scan at a different hospital) though have seen a different registrar each time. The last one I saw was really grumpy & so am not sure what info I will be given if I ask whoever I see questions about the the birth. They were in the same position as at the last scan & have been told its highly unlikely the will change position, they've just moved a little more side-by-side as he was more curled up at the last scan.

So, am looking for experiences please!

As much as having a c-section seems much more straight forward & stress free, I would worry about the recovery afterward with 2 babies and a 2 year old. (only turned 2 in July). So am convincing myself that it is good he is in perfect position and I should be pleased to have the opportunity for a natural delivery.

Also, at my first consultant appointment I asked if I could use atens machine if I went into labour before 37 weeks as its a twin labour, to be told no, I mentioned to my midwife that I was worried about coping without one as really benefited from it with dd and she told me I could use one as early labour would be normal for me with twins . . . so now I don't know whether to buy one or not!!

Thanks,

Lisa

[Modified by: Loopy Loo on 29 September 2010 16:27:58 ]

Replies

• Hi,

I was in exactly the same position as you at my 31 wk scan. twin 1 head down & twin 2 breech. I was also told that they would not change position but my twins were a pair of little gymnasts! At every scan after that (2 weekly) they had changed positions again! At 37 weeks twin 1 was breech & twin 2 head down so i was booked in for a c section. Then the day before the section (38wks) twin 1 had flipped again!!! and they were both head down. At that point though i just had to get them out as i was in so much pain so just went ahead with the planned c section.
    I also have a 2yr old so understand your concerns about recovery. I was shocked about how imobile i was after delivery compared to having a natural delivery with my dd but 2 weeks on i am feeling a lot better but am lucky enough that my dh is still off work and can do all the lifting e.t.c. I would have found it very hard though tbh if he was not home to help.
    It is such a hard decision to make, i struggled so much to decide but all things considered I am happy with the one i made. I have learned though that a c section is definately not an easy option!
    Not sure if any of that will help you but just thought i'd add my experience.
    Good luck xx:\)
  • Hi,
    Not been through it myself yet but getting the impression the babies still have time to move. At my 28 week scan Twin A was head down and the other transverse. Then at my 32 week scan Twin A was breach and the other still transverse. My consultant won't even discuss birth options until I've had my 36 week scan to see what position they are in then. Who says they run out of space in there, I think they just keep creating more and spin around!! xx
  • My boys were like your 2, although mine were identical so I was having a section regardless! This just secured the decision.

I wanted to comment on recovery. I had my section at 11am Mon morning (and I agree with lmt - definitely not the easy option and I would hope for a VBAC should there be a next time!) and I couldnt move, and was throwing up, until Tues at about 5am. The boys were on NICU so I didnt need to look after them. I asked every 15 - 20 mins from 5am on the Tues whether they would take my catheter out so I could get to NICU. They took it out at 7am and hubby arrived, and showered me (long story) and I was on NICU at 8.15am. I then walked backwards and forwards from NICU constantly until I was released after 10 days. I was in town by day 12, and at a Chistening on day 14. Apart from a little dizziness (which I would have had regardless as I had a low iron count) and I did bleed a little more (which MW told me was down to me doing too much, but I wasnt in any pain) I was back to doing everyday tasks by 3 weeks, and driving by 4.

I know not everyone is the same, but wanted to share my experience of a section.

Gemma, Ryan and Alfie 10months
  • Hi'
    well it seems that everyone is different and so is the advice given, at my scan today (34 weeks) i was told that both boys were still breech and firmly wedged under my ribs!!!!!
    The consultant seemed to think that because of their position and size (twin 1 is 5lb 1oz and twin 2 is 5lb 6oz) there was very little chance of them turning and so booked my section there and then.
    I asked if i would have another scan before my c section but she said that this was not necessary and that i would just need to see my community midwife in a weeks time!!!!!!!!
    Not sure if this is gonna help you or confuse you ( sorry)
    Take Care
    Lennie
  • Hi,

thanks everyone for your replies,

I was told at my consultant appointment that I can choose whether I want a natural delivery or c-section. They'll look at inducing me/booking a c-section at around 38 weeks if nothing has happened naturally. I'm hoping that things will 'kick off' naturally as then I will let things continue naturally. If I make to being booked in for an induction I'm not sure what I'll do as I bad a bad experience with being induced with my dd.

They have been in this position since my scan at 21 weeks, the registrar I saw said it is not impossible for her to turn. I did feel (and see!) her making a major movement where my bump rose about an inch & it was really uncomfortable. The movements I've felt since have felt different to before then but still can't be sure if she just moved so facing a different way or if she managed to flip over.

have another 3 weeks till my 34 week scan then I wont have my consultant appointment till the following week as they have no clinic for my consultant that week! Am annoyed about that seeing as I've never actually met my consultant so why should it matter if she's not there!
  • Hi,
    I had boy/girl twins in Feb. Twin A was head down, twin B was transverse. Had a natural delivery with the help of forceps. After twin A was delivered, the consultant held twin B in position and then gently turned him head down with the help of a continuous scan (amazing to watch). They gave him all the time he needed to come down and he was born 56 minutes after his sister.
    Good luck!
  • Good luck, i'll be thinking of you...

Sara x
  • Not long now! Good luck! x
  • Thank you,

I was sent for another scan this week because the registrar thought one of the babies was breech and was right, little girl managed to turn again so is breech again! But as the boy is the lower twin I'm still going for a natural delivery (though am expecting an assisted natural delivery)

I'm booked in to be induced in a couple of days when I hit 38 weeks - eek!!!
  • How exciting Loopy Loo, you are so close to meeting them. Hope everything goes smoothly and can't wait to hear your update!
    So you're having a boy and a girl? How nice. We don't know what we're having-can't believe we've managed to go this long and not find out, particularly having had sooooo many scans!

Good luck xxx