Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Scans- how often?

Hi Everyone

I????m 12 weeks and 6 days with identical twins. Just wondered how often people who are having twins are being scanned.

I had one on the 15th July- which told us we were having twins- previous scan was at 7 weeks and we thought we were having only one lo, and then I had an internal scan on 22nd July- to enable gyne to see if they were in one sac or two and do Nuchal test. They are in two sacs but share a placenta- so they are identical (I have 2 sets of ID Twins on my mums side and 2 sets on my dads).

The gyne (private sector) is now on holiday until the end of August so I don????t see him until then. I have booked my appointment with my midwife (public sector) for Monday and am hoping she will sort another scan before the end of August- as I worry about TTTS and want to make sure their growth is measured carefully and regulary.

How often have any of you been scanned? Are you having ID or Non ID twins? I????ve read its different between ID and Non ID twins?

I????m in Spain and not sure how it all works here and whether I need to be fighting for some more scans.

Many thanks for any advice xx

Replies

• hiya
    im 10+2
    ive had 4 scans already 1st scan they thought only 1 but thought it had stopped growing so had to return in 1 week(where i found out there was two)
    had another scan to check growth last week and 1 yes
    was told yes they had diff sacs and placentas so wouldnt need to be scanned as freq as with id twins who share placentas
    ive to go bak in 4 weeks for my dating scan!!
    and have 1st mw appt mon

xxx
  • Ceebee,

I was going to post a similar subject as i too am worried about lack of scans and i live in Ireland.

I found out it was twins at an early scan at 6 weeks and 7 weeks at EPU due to previous history of mc's and I requested to go back to EPU at 12 weeks to check all ok as I did not yet have ante natal appointment.

I had antenatal apt Tuesday at 14 weeks + 2 and I got a scan to check heartbeats and measure. He told me they were growing nicely but did not mention id or non id (and I forgot to ask !!)

I do not go back to clinic for 12 weeks (will be 26 weeks !!!!!!!) and abck to GP in 4 weeks (we have no midwife apts here).

He has referred me back to hospital radiology department for detailed scan to check growth but said I will be called for that at around 24 weeks.

I am thinking it is all a long wait and that I am being treated no different than for a singleton pregnancy.

Would appreciate all twin mums comments on what ante natal care they are getting
  • thst does seem like a long time between appts..espesh 4 clinic

i was told i would been saw more reg by both mw and consultant
    and have a scan at 14 weeks and told i would be called 4 another scan prob 4 weeks after that xx
  • hi i am 15+1 and have had 3 scans already and i am also having identical twins, 2 sacs same placenta.

have brought my own angelsounds where u can listen to the heartbeats from 12 weeks which is really good.

have an appointment with the midwife on the 13th aug so she can listen to the heartbeats, then another scan on the 9th september to check the twins growth and been told i will have a scan every 2 weeks from then till they are born because they are identical and share the same placenta to check for TTTFS.

hope this helps
    deb x
  • hi

i didnt find out i was having twins til nearly 14weeks didnt have a clue i was pregnant until i started bleeding luckily babies are k.

ive had 2 scans already and another 1 13th august.i have to have scans every 4 weeks followed by consultant and mw every 2weeks in between these.

they believe mine are non-id twins. xx
  • I having id twin boys I had scan at 12 weeks confirmed it twins, 15 weeks thought they were non id, 21 weeks sure they now id (this a detailed scan) scan at 23 weeks (this again a detailed scan) confirmed weight about 2lb each and confirmed no sign of TTTS and now every two weeks having growth scans until about 32 weeks. In between having checks with midwife. Hope this helps.xx
  • seems alot of ppl have been told they r having non id twins and then told weeks later they think they r id!!xx
  • I agree marnie, and for my sonagrapher to say oh yeah there no id because there in separate sac's, seems a bit off the hook. They didn't seem sure.
    Any way back to original question, Im not sure about the scans either so far I have had one private early scan, then my nhs 12 wk scan and I have another booked for booked for 7th Aug when I'll be 13 wks, this is the nuchal scan, and my midwife then said I'd have one roughly at 18wks and either then every 2 or 4 wks dependant on size/growth etc. x
  • for ID twins you should have scans every two weeks from about 16 weeks- i did-my girls are now 8 mths old.
    Even if you have a home doppler and can hear the heart beats, you wouldnt know if they had TTTS.
  • what is TTTS?
    can't beleive i went all through twin pregnancy without hearing this combination of letters? !!!!
    i must be dumb....!
  • TTTS = Twin-to-twin-syndrome. It only affects ID twins. Google to find out more about it!
  • Hi,

I am almost 22 wks gone with twins, i live in the north west of England, i'm also a bit worried about the number of scans and antenatal checks as dont seem to have many checks especially. At my 1st scan at 13wks i was told they are non id as in separate sacs, i then had a appointment a few days later with a midwife at the local doctors surgery who took blood and blood pressure etc, but didnt check urine. My next appointment then wasnt for seven weeks, when i had my 20 wk scan, and a appointment with a cousultant as with twins, i thought they would take blood pressure again etc as they did during antenatal checks during previous pregnancys, but no the consultant just asked me about previous pregnancys and are they healthy and that was it! i was in and out his office in two mins, and told to come back in two wks,but thats only because they couldent carry out all the scan checks as twins were moving so much, otherwise the sonographer told me that i would be scanned every 2wks fron 28wks to 36wks,which is ok, but i'm worried about the antenatals,and lack of checks, has anyone else had this? My midwife told methey'd see me at 24wks next then 28wks and every 3 wks after that.I thought blood pressure, urine checks etc would be done at every antenatal......

Any advice would be good!!!

[Modified by: Silvalady on August 02, 2008 11:03 PM]

• you should definitely insist on them taking your b/p, urine test etc at every appointment. I had mine took at every midwife and scan with consultant and even when i saw my GP. They should be making sure they dont miss any signs of pre-eclampsia and lots of other things they can pick up on.
    good luck
  • hi
    well ive not even saw the mw yet,my 1st appt is 2moro but im only 10+6

though with both my prev prgs my blood pressure and urine was checked every time i saw mw!
    i think that is normal and should be the case tho i dnt know how often u should be having checks with twins......am kinda wondering that myself.

sorry not much help xxxx