Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Needing some reassurance please!

Good morning ladies.

Thank you to all who commented on my last post.

I am now exactly 8 weeks and really not settling in to my pregnancy, after re-reading my hospital notes I found that both babies are in the same gestational sac and sharing the same placenta.
I asked the midwife for some advice and she said to google it - something I really must thank her for (sarcastic undertones needed here!!). :roll:
It has made me worry so much and can't get my head around it - it literally is all I can think about.

Has anyone that has identical twins been in the same situation? What happened? How was the pregnancy?

Thank you in advance, xx

Replies

• Hi

Please try not to worry. The good news is that at 12 wks you should get more information. At 12 wks we were referred to a consultant at the hospital because that is where twin pregnancies are looked after in our area. They're taken away from midwives, which is why they are not always clued up on twins. This is certainly the experience I've had. I'm 27 wks with id twins and have only seen my midwife three times, and one of those was the booking in appointment at three weeks!
    See if your notes mention what type of ID twins they are. Mine are MCDA. This means mono-chorionic, di-amniotic. One placenta (mono chorion) and two amniotic sacs. This means that they are sharing the placenta so we have to have regular growth scans to make sure one baby isn't monopolizing all the food! With them being seperate amniotic sacs there is no danger of them tangling in cords etc.

Once you've got this information try google or wikipedia. We actually got some really helpful leaflets from the booking in appointment that explained the different types of twins.

I hope this helps. Best thing you can do is not worry, you'll find out the answers soon.

Keep well
    J x
  • Thank you so very much for that post, it feels better having someone to talk to rather than scare myself with google!
    My notes don't say anything other than: 1 gestational sac, 2 fetal poles, 2 heartbeats seen and that it's a viable pregnancy. The sonographer said they share a placenta.
    What is the difference between the amniotic sac and gestational sac? I was scanned at 7 wks, would that be too early to tell if they have a seperating membrane etc??
    Hope you're ok and that your pregnancy continues o be happy and healthy, are you struggling with the heat? xx
  • hi... firstly congrats image
    i have got 19 week old identical twin girls which were MCMA twins.. i read alsorts of worrying things online when i googled it so when i went to my consultant i had my notes ready to show her.. eg.. scans every 2 weeks ... abut cord entaglement ect ect...i do think googling it scared me a bit too much.. also carrying past 34/35 weeks is to high risk so they will deliver u by c-section around then unless any complications!! any questions please ask....
    the ladies on here have been fab i only came across one other lady with the MCMA twins so didnt have anyone really to speak to about it... i dont often come on here so if ur on facebook u can add me if u like image
    donna ,gracie and olivia ( 19+4) xxx
    http://www.babyexpert.com/chatroom/topic/145437
    a post my sister did for me when i was expecting
    xxx

[Modified by: pinktwinnies on June 29, 2010 07:11 PM]

• i was just looking at my notes and my twins r mcma im 14weeks and so far they r doing fine see the midwife in 2 weeks then in 6weeks i go for my 20week scan then another one at 24weeks can't wait to see how they r getting on im getting bigger so they must be growing ok xx