Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

3rd Trimester - Sleeping!!

Hi Girls,

I know the type of answers to expect to this but i'm wondering how you ladies who have been through or are going through the 3rd trimester managed to get any sleep at all!!

I'm really struggling at the moment, I can't get comfortable laying on either side, with or without pillows. I have a massive maternity pillow, but end up with neck ache if i use this. I also find my self waking up on my back a few times a night, which is leaving me really breathless. And as for the braxton hicks which i think are starting to kick in and leaving my tummy feeling really tight a few times a night I can't win!! I'm not moaning as i'm loving being pregnant but i'm so exhausted and still have to get up at 6.30 for work every day (only 2 and a half weeks left). Do i need to throw in the towel and start sleeping sitting up??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated xx

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/Bier.png

Replies

• Options
    Hi Jackie

You have my sympathy...... I know exactly how it feels. We're 28 weeks too and I'm struggling to get comfortable. I try sleeping with a pillow under my bump but it still feels as though the weight of the bump is pulling and stretching at all of my middle. Luckily I have a tempur pillow for my head which I've used for a couple of years now, so luckily I've not had any neck problems this far. I have a dream genii pillow which I position down one side of me, and another tempur pillow down the other side. Then if I move in the night I've got something to roll onto. Despite this I do wake up on my back from time to time, must be more comfy for me! Try hard not to do it though because I know it's not good for me or the babies.

I'm finishing work a week on Friday, I'll be 30+1. I had originally planned on going into August but I'm just so unbelievably tired. Early starts for work are so tough. Hubbie is working fairly flat out at work at the moment too so there's not much let up at home. Meals still need cooking and clothes still need washing! Looking forward to having some lie ins though and clearing my mind. I was diagnosed with cholestasis last week so really have to put my feet up. It's not pretty if I don't. Thank goodness it's a bit cooler though, the heat was really hard work even though it was nice. I had to have steroid injections for the babies last week too, have you had these or been told about them? I didn't know anything about them until the consultant told me they wanted me to have them. Learning something new every week!

Take care.
    J x
  • Options
    Ladies I remember it well!!! My twins re 7.5 months now and it does seem a long time ago though.

Cant really help with the sleeping but do rest as much as you can in the day. I was told to rest by so many people but I didnt.I insisted that I was pregnant not ill but do I wish I had now!

Lie in bed and read. Get your oh to bring you tea and cake in bed. Enjoy every moment because you will never rest again!!!

Twins are such a blessing but you will need all your energy for when they arrive x
  • Options
    Hi Jackie,
    well i could have written your post and unfortunately have no real solutions, have tried pillows they work for a bit but then i need to move or go for a wee (don't get me started on that one) and the whole process of trying to get comfy starts again!!!!
    The last couple of nights haven't been so bad as its been cooler but i can't say i look forward to going to bed anymore, luckily i have now given up work although being at home all week with my fifteen month old who is now wolking and whose favourite new word is NO is not exactly restful (lol)!!!!
    I feel like i'm on countdown now though, eight weeks at the most!!
    Am trying to get organised have now got pushchair and moses baskets etc but really can't decide or agree on names, how are you getting on?
    Anyway take care
    Lenniex
  • Options
    Hi,

I'm suffering too! Particularly as the longer I lie with out being able to fall asleep, the more fidgety my legs get.

We've had some busy days and I've found that the more active I am during the day, the active the babies are at night, double trouble!! So end up exhausted from the day & night!

Last night I slept much better & had relaxed on the sofa for a couple of hours before going to bed so you know what I'll be doing from now on!

I keep ending up on my back too, despite putting pillows either side of me, i'm sure it happened in my last pregnancy too but once I got bigger it was much more difficult to move & it stopped happening.

Sorry I haven't really helped!
  • Options
    Hi Girls,

Thanks for your replies, as I expected i'm just going to have to put up with being uncomfortable for the next 2 months!!

MrsP2, I think we finish work on the same day (30th July), i'll be 30+3 and can't wait to relax a bit more!! Although i have lots of plans for bag packing and washing baby clothes once i finish work!!

Wilmie, thanks for your advice too, always good to get advice from someone thats been there, and excellent advice on the tea and cake in bed while we still can!!

Lennie, I used to love my bed, now it's the most uncomfortable place in the world!! Don't envy you having to run around after your toddler, maybe you should go back to work for a rest!! image I'm doing ok, on the 10 weeks countdown now, although secretly hoping they make an appearance a little earlier, 36 weeks would be nice!! We've got the pushchair on order, ready to collect and the cots arrived 2 days ago, just need mattresses and also ordered bouncy chairs yesterday!! There's so much preparation involved!!

Loopy, I always get fidgety legs, I have a fan permanently pointing at my legs in bed, it really helps. I'll try the relaxing on the sofa advice, although i probably already do that, i'm not very active once i get in from work!!

Thanks again girls, it's good to come and have a moan with ladies in the same situation.

Take care xx
  • Options
    One night when I had really bad fidgety legs I did some googling and have slept better since I started taking the pregnancy vitamins again, I'm useless at remembering to take vitamins but read that fidgety legs can be down to a lack of vitamins/minerals particularly iron.

I also read that it can be something you are eating that aggravates them, I had been drinking d-caf tea but am drinking hot chocolate now.

Also, I drink tonic water before I go to bed, something I learnt about in my last pregnancy for leg cramps but can also help fidgety legs.

Another thing was to go to bed to go straight to sleep, we tend to watch tv in bed rather than go straight asleep.

BUT, I've slept well for the last few nights now, have had a couple of quieter days with my dd and a lot less on my mind & have slept much better.
  • Options
    I also could have written your post myself. I am now 35+4 and booked in for an induction at 37. I also find if you lie on one side too long you get stiff and it reaaly hurts! In a way it is nice to know you are not the only one!!