Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Twins on Telly

Is it only me who is disappointed with the representationof twins on telly?

Im not a big fan of telly for my kids anyway and they dont watch much but if twins are ever on it they are always dressed the same, called very similar names (Ed and Edna) or worse just called the twins. I feel its important to foster individual identity and just wish they were shown to be individual rather than paraded as the twins.

think im becoming neurotic lol

xxDBxx

Replies

• Think your right. I had been thinking about names which would be similar but book suggested multiples need own identity.
    I think with 4 I will just be glad to have them dressed in anything let alone matching haha!
  • lol

I think different letters also helps, like when you get post it often only has there initial so its easier if you have different initials.

my tip is dungarees over sleepsuits, to begin with sleepsuits are so easy but if you want them to look like they are dressed pop a pair of dungarees on and it really looks like you have made an effort and there feet are kept warm

xxDBxx
  • i agree too my son is called Jowa-junior my husband called johannes and he says if we have two boys (won't find out til 12th june if they cooperate) that he want their names to begin with a J too but i dont want that so we'll have to come to some sort of agreement i think lol
    i think sometimes it is cute too see two girls/boys the same but they do need their own identity. i might be wrong but i think identicals are seen more as 'the twins' than non identicals i say this because i have a couple of friends thats are twins but non identical and they are totally different people just like any other siblings really but there are two set of identical twins that i know and they are very close and always seen together and both of them are known as the twins instead of calling them by there names
    i hope people don't reffer to my babies as 'the twins' they may do as they are young but as they get older i hope thay dont

http://bd.lilypie.com/9uMZp1/.png

• yes i agree too!
    twins are in loads of books and tv shows - but always seem to act as one person.

the worst twins on telly now are Dora the Explorers Twins if you ask me!

they are just daft super babies - and pointless!

have a good book though -
    about a boy and girl twin set - and how diferent thay are.
    will look up title and author if you want...
    its a picture book for little kids.

• Yes Bunty that would be fab. Glad its not just me that finds it really annoying

xxDBxx
  • Hey I am gatecrashing here. As I am a twin, I like to read about ladies who have twins or are pg with them.
    DB - i wish my Mum had that attitude with us when we were growing up! We were always dressed the same with matching ribbons in our hair! I hated it. Esp as I got older.

I am now 28yrs old and I am still referred to as 'Twinny'. I fought hard during my teens to establish my own identity. I even went to the hairdressers and had my bum-length hair chopped in2 a bob much to Mum's disgust.

I think it's ok when twins are younger but as they get older it is very important for them to establish their own individual identities xxx
  • Hi Charlies mum thanks for your reply, im always intersted to read about adult twins and im glad you think my desire for individuality isnt neurotic lol. Im really proud of them as twins but want them know as themseleves first and foremost. Im thinking of putting them into the same nursery but different classes, do you think that is a good idea? its just they are super identical and i worry that people wont get to know them individually if they are in together.

thanks. does it upset you being called twiney, coz it worries me. oooh and are you close with your sister, sorry so many questions but i only know child twins

xxDBxx
  • I dont refer to my boys as the twins they are always the boys. Sometimes dress them the same or same tops different bottoms etc etc. I agree tey are there own people whether id or not really bugs me sometimes when people say how are the twins, they the boys in my eyes also annoys me as I also have a 22 month old when people ignore him and talk to just the boys. Sometimes its nice to dress them the same and its easier to look for one set of clothes rather than two. When they bit bigger will probbaly dress them totoally different espec when there characters show. I also agree i want them to be seen as different people. Doublebubble i think it a good idea to have them in seperate classes give them a chance to excell in their own subjects.

Max and Milo 38 weeks (29 corrected) and Luke 22 months,
  • Ours will be dressed differently if at all possible (mainly to help us know who they are - this is something that really worries me!)

We are choosing names with different initials (just because we wouldnt have had them with the same initials as brothers anyway!)

I worry that, with them being identical that they will be lumped together by people. I only know about twins from ladies on here as I know noone with twins.

Twins on telly have never got a good press, that I can remember. Even programmes I watched as a kid suggested that twins, esp id twins, were 'one person'. Really annoying, but think that is why I am so determined for them to be dressed different!

Gemma and Double Blue Bump 19 + 2