Forum home Babies Twins & multiples

Any good books?

Does anyone know of any good books on twin pregnancy and birth? There is not an aawful lot in the shops, so they will probably have to be ordered. Thanks

Replies

• Just bought one book called Twins & Multiple Births by Dr Carol Cooper (ISBN 978-0-091-89485-6). It's endorsed by tamba.

It's okay - not great, but the only one I've been able to get hold of! You might find it more useful because it does tend to concentrate on Twins rather than higher multiples but it has given some good advice so far, and carries you through pregnancy, Birth, Toddlers, Relationships, etc so it's useful for quite a long time.
  • Thanks. How are you keeping? Is everything going well now?
  • Thanks. How are you keeping? Is everything going well now?
  • Hey

Hope your both well?

I brought 'everything you need to know to have a healthy twin pregnancy' by Gila Leiter M.D

It is mainly focused on twins but has some intersting bits about higher multiples. Its from a doctors view point and is american but i found it helpful esp with all medical bits relating to multiple pregnancy xx
  • Things seem to be progresing normally, although I'm increasing in size at an alarming rate - only 9 weeks and I'm having trouble doing my trousers up! I'm a teacher and some of my students have started asking questions, so I've had to tell work officially today but they seem to be really supportive. At least I get most of the summer off to relax and put my fet up, although we are moving house!
  • I can only imagine how big you are getting, i got big very quickly and there were only 2 in there! Glad everything is going well tho, what subject/age range do you teach? I'd always planned to teach and then got offered another job which i enjoyed but now have the boys am thinking of doing my PGCE. It will def be good for you to have the summer to rest, you wouldnt have to go back in sept if you didnt want to either as docs are v good at signing off people who are pregnant with multiples xx
  • Hi there.

Lowri I am so glad things are going well now. The size thing is rather an issue. Luckily most my trousers are hipsters, so my mom put in that elastic that you get in most maternity trousers, and I can still get them done up under my bump. From all the stress of being so small and not feeling the babies move, I now have this great bump, and they are thee most active little things! It is absolutely wonderful. Going on 19 weeks now, and have just started really enjoying this pregnancy.
    Doublebubble, your pic is gorgeous. Thanks for the name of those books. Have browsed through a couple, but nothing that has grabbed me so far.
    Starting to get really excited about the girls. Went for another scan yesterday, and they are both doing really well. Hope your boys are fine, and Lowri are you planning on finding out the sex of your little ones?
    Speak soon, S xx

• hey Hannah

Glad all is well with you and the girls. I think your in the best part of the pregnancy now, far enough that you dont have to worry and not yet so big that its hard work.

Someone at the twin club reccommended Gina Ford and Alice Beers 'a contented little house with twins' for when they arrive, personally ive had a look thru and think its too regimented but she swears by it.

My boys are good thanks, still breast feeding which im really pleased with and they are growing really well now.

Its silly but im so excited for you both, you have so much to look forward too xx
  • I teach Sport science to 16+ which is really good in some ways because they are quite independent, but the flip side is that you all the teenage angst and attitude! Thankfully I don't teach any practical stuff, just theory about the body, nutrition and a bit of psychology! My students have started to look at me a little oddly already, two have asked me outright, and I can't lie because I'm so excited - the second anyone mentions it I get a big grin on my face! Everyone else seems to be panicking about how I'll cope, but as far I'm concerned, they're my babies, and I'll get through it any way I can - I have to, and being stressed and panicked about things isn't going to help! I'm still waiting for an appointment at the hospital at the moment -I went for my booking apointment with the midwife last week and nobody had told her I was having triplets, so things are moving a little slower than I'd hoped they would. It's really strange, but I can't wait to see them on a scan again, but because I've already had 2 and they're pretty sure of my dates they might not do a 12 week scan! I was hoping that because it's multiple they would be scanning more often!
    I just want to get past the 12 weeks now so that I can start buying stuff, even though I know I shouldn't get too carried away because even after 12 weeks things can still go wrong, but I need to start being positive about things! Only two more weeks to go!

It must be an amazing feeling to be able to feel them moving inside you!??!
  • Hey Lowri

If i do teach that is the age range I want too teach as well. Have they told you how often you will be scanned?? I know for non-id twins at my hospital its every 4 weeks and for id its every 2. I would of thought that with triplets it would have been every 2. are they all di-choronic and di-amniotic?

Regards the movement it is amazing especially when you learn to tell the different babies kick, my boys kicks were so different i felt i knew some of their personality before they were born.

Regards everyone else worrying your right, stressing out doesnt change anything in fact it makes it all worse as they say a stressed out mother in pregnancy has a stressy baby. I dont know why people are always so negative i go with the opinion 'God knew you would be such a good mother he blessed you with three.'
    You do want to find out what help you can get sure start in my area are really good with multiple births,
    xx

• It's really nice to have such suportive words of wisdom! My mum is being very good, but she's quite far away and so a few phone calls each week don't always do justice to the worries I have!

At the moment I think the babies are dichorionic and diamniotic - at least that's what the last scan seemed to show, although two are quite close together, whilst one is a little further away from the others. Hopefully I'll have another scan soon which will give us more of a definite idea. I've got a doctors appointment tomorrow, so I'm going to chase up my next scan/appointment then. I'm almost glad I'm am going to be completely under the care of the hospital as the midwife at the surgery didn't really seem to be on the ball! Everything I've read and researched suggests that I should be scanned at least every month, but nobody I've spoken to so far rwally seems to know what the policy is at my local hospital. I have got the option to choose a different hospital if I don't feel I'm recieving the best care, but the local one is so convenient, it's only a 5-10 minute walk away - it actually takes longer to drive! I'm sure I'll find out soon though.

Hope things are well with you and your babies aren't keeping you up too much! Well done with the breast feeding, I want to try to provide at least one breast feed a day for each of mine, even if I have to express, but I would love to be able to do it properly, at least for a few weeks.
  • I know the problem deciding on hospital, i spent a long time weighing up care versus closeness. Once I was given a consultant (at 12 weeks) my care reallly improved and i couldnt fault the pre natal care (the labour was a bit different as they didnt have enough incubators when i went into labour so ended up giving birth in a hospital 35 miles away!)

Since becoming a multi mum, breast feeding has become very important to me, ive started doing demonstrations for multi mums to be so that they can see what tandem feeding is like (i still cant believe ive done this..i used to be shy!) The reason i recommend it so much is because if you are feeding on your own its much easier than bottle feeding (im breast feeding as i type this post) There have been cases of women exclusivly feeding triplets so it is def possible. The biggest battle you are likely to have is getting the maternity staff to listen to you once you have had the babes, unfortunatly many midwifes just assume you will want to bottle feed multiples. If you want nearer the time (was gonna put in here but it would be a massive post and not sure if you would like it) I can let you know what a few of us twin mothers reccommend to new mothers who wish to breast feed. We found that there isnt much literature on breast feeding premature babies and equally m/w dont know that much about b'feeding multis. I found it all helpful and have added to it with my experience, so lt me know if your interested.
    Hope you get your care sorted soon.

xx

• Any advice and help would be more than welcome! Just found out that local parenting classess are all booked up until October, which might mean that I already have the babies before being able to get to any! Although this might not be a bad thing because they mainly cater for singletons anyway, and the whole birth part probably won't be of much use either!

My email address is lowrimurray@yahoo.co.uk if it would be easier to send info that way
  • We went to our twin preparation class last week. Was really good. They only hold 2 a year. Chat to your midwife or ask at the hospital about parentcraft classes for multiples. The class lasts about 2-3 hours, but is well worth it. The midwife (who has twins herself) covered everything, and then had question time. We also had 2 mums of multiples there so that we could ask any questions about anything from routines to prams.. Hope you find something.