Forum home Babies Twins & multiples

Its not Triplets........

Well ladies,
I went back to hospital today for a scan following me being told it was triplets last week......they found another heart beat. Its flippin quads!!! I am NOT joking image Two sets of identicals. OMG.
I have to see a foetal consultant....I'm a bit unsure if he is just going to explain risks or if he would be asking me to get rid of some of the twins? Have any of you had to see foetal consultants for your twins?

Replies

• WOW, congratulations. Wishing you all the best for your appointment and for a H+H 9 months.

jen 24+1
  • Wow - quads, that's amazing!!!

We were referred to a Fetal Consultant at 20 weeks due to one of our twins being bigger than the other. This was diagnosed as a growth restriction. At the time, we were told that we could choose to terminate one twin to give the other a better chance but they stressed that this wasn't a medical recommendation, just something for us to consider. However, this was given only as one of the options and was due to the early gestation and not knowing how the growth restriction would develop. I think (although not sure) that they will always give you this option but it doesn't necessarily mean it's the right option for you or is a medical requirement. We chose not to go for this option and let nature take its course. Fortunately, we have made it to 32 weeks and I am due to deliver next week. Both twins have continued to grow and although they will need some time in Special Care because they will be early, their estimated weights are good for their gestation.

Sorry, I've waffled a bit but I think what you should find is that your consultant will give you risks and options but ultimately, you will know what the right decision is for you.

xxxx
  • wow...omg...congratulations...i think! lol! wishing you all the best...absolutely no advice for you but lots of luck xxx
  • Not quiet sure how to respond, what a dilemma!

Id twins are a natural occurance so i assume not a result of your fertility treatment (may i ask what it was?), the odds of that are massive, and either descision has massive implications. just to say if you need to talk about it feel free to post what you like. i guess untill you see the consultant you wont know what your up against,sending you all the luck and good wishes whatever you decide

xxDBxx
  • OMG Quads!!! That's incredible!!!
    I can't offer any advice about your appointment though sorry hun, but good luck xx
  • Oh MyGod! Congratulations!!! Wow - you must be reeling !!
    I too have had to see a fetal consultant at Queen Charlottes and Chelsea Hospital - wont go into all the details but all I can say is they were absolutley fantastic. You will get the best care possible - I dont know what the odds are for your situation occurring but I bet they are slim so you will get extra special attention for being so unusual !
    I wish you all the very best and as has been said before, please feel free to write about anything - I think we have all had different experiences in one way or another ( not always the happiest unfortunately ) so we are here for you.
    Best wishes, Tracy
  • Thank you ladies. Your words really help. :roll:
    My heads totally spinning but you have all put me more at ease.
    Doublebuble-it was jus IVF. Never in a million years did I think it would be 4! We maybe should have just let them put 1embryo back insted of 2 :lol:
    Thanks again xxx
  • oh wow,thats brilliant even more excitment,iam not supprised your head is spinning,hope it calms down soon

sarah
  • Thats amazing, when r u due? x
  • I don't have a clue when I'm due. If I get to 31-34 weeks that would be October. I shall just have to try & keep them all hostaged until at least then:lol:
  • Awwwwww hun congratulations, you made me cry lol, god i am soft!!

Cant imagine what you must be thinking at the moment, but i hope everything goes well for you xx
  • just popping in from ttc and had to say congratulations....wow you must be so excited wishing you all the luck in the world xx
  • wow! massive congratulations! im really excited for you, what a blessing!! i wish you all the luck! twins are great and you get 2 sets! x
  • wow congratulations! whats are the chances of 2 eggs spilting!! bet you cant believe it, 4 babies!!
    well done!
  • AArgh show I posted on this the other night too - did BE eat all my posts!!! Congratulations shocking but fabulous news. Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy xx
  • wow!!!! Congrats. Dats all I can say for now.
  • I'm another gatecrasher - I just wanted to say congratulations and wish you all the best for a happy healthy pregnancy!

I had to post as I was on be the other day and was debating posting in here to see if there were any 'and more' babies just out of curiosity and then that same day I saw your post from the main page!!!

Don't know if its something you are interested in but when i was on maternity leave i read an awful lot of online diaries written by parents and i did come across a few from parents of quads - you could probably find them fairly easily by googling. Just thought it might help..
  • Thanks for all your messages. I hadn't thought of the on line blogs. I shall have to have a look. There was a programme on channel 5 this week about quads, its helped us make up our mind. We'll hear the consultant out but I think we want to leave things to fate. I have another scan on Tuesday & we'll speak to him then....hope they don't find any more thou lol!
  • Just wanted to say a huge congrats... How are you going to cope??? I have a 2 year old and 6 month old twins and its so hard!!! I hope you will have lots of help, especially at night...

Congrats again - I would do the same as you, leave it up to fate...

Good luck and keep us all informed...

Sara x