Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Identical twins???

Hi ladies,

So after asking all through my pregnancy and being fobbed off many times and told they are probably non ID, i have finally been told the results from my placenta being sent away for tests to be sure...Turns out my twins are diamniotic/monochorionic. However my health visitor still wasn't sure what this means. As far as i can tell from google!!! it means that they are actually identical? I'm a little unsure though whether i should trust google lol!
So i thought you ladies would as usual be more use than my local health professionals! Anyone had this type of twins and know what it means?

Thanks in advance & i hope you are all doing well. xx

Replies

• Hi, I found this on another baby site, thought it could help you...

Twins can be identical (30%) or non identical (70%). Dichorionic means two placentas, and diamniotic means two amniotic fluid filled sacs. A non identical twin pregnancy is always dichorionic diamniotic, which means that your babies, despite both being in your womb at the same time, have their own placenta and amniotic sac. It becomes more complicated with identical twins. They are originally from one embryo that split into two. If the embryo splits very early on, then the twins are identical but have separate placentas and amniotic sacs (dichorionin, diamniotic). If the embryo splits a little later, the result is identical twins that share a placenta (monochorionic) but are in separate sacs (diamniotic). Very late splitting of the embryo is rare but can result in conjoined (siamese) twins, or two babies that have the same placenta and are in the same sac (monochorionic, monoamniotic). This type of twins is at highest risk of various complications of pregnancy.

• Yep...my 2 were MCDA (shared a placenta but in different sacs) and are identical.
  • Yes, my girls are MC/DA and are biologically identical (although they don't look identical due to being different sizes xx
  • Yeah MCDA (same placenta different sacs) and are identical these are the most common types of twins x
  • thanks for the replies.

It's just nice to finally know. i felt like a complete idiot when they were born and people would ask if they were identical and i had to tell them i didn't know!

I'm even more p'd off now about my antenatal "care" when i think how long i went between scans. Think we're just very lucky that everything went smoothly.

Xx
  • Actually, non-identical are the most common type of twins hun xxx
  • Gemma i think she meant in identical twins this is the most common not twins in general....

Thats how i read it anyway.
    Lilac*