Forum home Babies Twins & multiples

How do twins run in the family?

Hi all

This is a bit on a long shot but just wondering how it all works. I am 5 weeks pregnant, still early i know but my mum is an identical twin, does anyone know if this will affect me and what are the chnaces of us having twins also?

Are identical twin just pot luck or is it bcoz they are in the family?

Thanks

Newlook xxxxxx

Replies

• Id twins is luck im afraid! Its just an egg splitting during/after fertilization.

Em x
  • Em is right fraternal twins (non ID) carry through the mothers side of the family, never the mans, and identical are just complete luck. however, saying that my friend had fraternal triplets and then ID twins, natural conception!!
  • oh just wondered image thank you. i dont think i could cope with two!!!!lol xxx
  • I'm worried about how i'll cope with two still! and it was a big shock but we've come round to the idea and as we wanted two children we see this as getting it all over and done with in one go! (the pregnancy that is!)

I'm having non identical twins. There are no twins at all on my mum's side but quite a few on my Dad's side. It seems to have done the typical 'skip' a generation and got me! As my grandad's sibblings were twins.
    xx

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/24/2403/240339.png

• Hi, I am 14 + 3 with twins and there are none in the family at all. We find out on 3rd January more about them but scan lady said they were identical. They are sharing same placenta but have own sacs. Apparently the older you are at conception point affects chances of twins and weight too ?? She said that twins are on the increase because some of us are leaving it later in life ( I am 37 in Jan ) and generally the population is heavier. It was a big shock to us but we are thrilled and getting used to the idea although I can beleive how big I am already! Midwife said 1 in 60 pregnancies are now twins.
    Anyway, good luck !!
  • we have got twins on both side of the family,they have missed everyone else and got me,were having non id twins and we always said we wanted 2 children but we have got a son also so we look at it as we were meant to have 3 children and when we found out we were having twins,we were shocked but so over the moon,ive read that you have more chance of releasing 2 or more eggs after you are 35,iam only 33 by the way :lol:

sarah
    http://bd.lilypie.com/sg4fp1/.png

• People say identical twins don't run in the family but my mother has traced her family tree back to the 1600's. She has found that without fail every other generation has had identical twin girls.

Apparently I am next in line eek!
  • well i don no if id or non id depends on genes but i no twins do. my grandma is a twin n al her grand kids seem 2 be havin twins altough its skipped me 2wic now wit my 23mon n 11wks old but would luv 2 hav twins though congrats 2 al of u expectin. studied biology as my 1st degree n its al down 2 genes on either side