Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

When the twins are here

Hello ladies,

I know it's a long way off but i was just wondering, when you have more then one baby did any of you bye more then one cot or moses basket? What do you prefer, cot or moses basket? I've heard that some babies don't really get on with moses basket (one of my friends child didn't).
Do you have to buy to of everything?

Sorry if i'm sounding silly.

Amber x

Replies

• Options
    Hey hun,

We have 2 cots (bought from Ikea and fab) and mum in law has bought 2 moses baskets. Weve done this mainly so the boys can be in with us for the first few weeks at least and cant fit 2 cots in. I wanted 2 because I didnt want them to sleep together. Also, if they end up in SCBU, which is fairly likely even if for a short time, then they separate them anyway so would be better for them to be apart.

We have ended up with 2 of most things, although we didnt plan it. Most of it came from car boots or has been borrowed from friends.

Other than things that need to be new - such as car seats and matresses, unless someone has offered to get them, we have used ebay, car boots and cheaper shops. Found this was a necessity with 2 to buy. Anything specific you want to ask, go for it as ive been quite general! LOL!

Gemma and Double Blue Bump 31 weeks
  • Options
    We debated this and went for 2 moses baskets and 2 cots. I'm so glad we did. As Gemmiebaby said, the girls were in separate cots in SCBU (they spent one day in the same cot together but were very cramped). I'm sure they would disturb each other if they were in together. I really think that having them sleep separately prevents double wakings. Each one only wakes when the genuinely want something. Having said that, I have a twin mummy friend whose girls have always shared a cot and sleep fine (they obviously don't favour the starfish sleeping position like my two do!)
    Our cots are actually cotbeds so will see them through till they are older which was another reason why we bought 2.
    Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask xx
  • Options
    Hiya,

Thats great, thank you for your replies.

Just wondering, did you babies sleep ok in the cot bed?

Amber x
  • Options
    since we had daniel firt we kept all of his things so like the car seat we only needed to buy one and we kept his mosses basket but we bought a new mattress for it but yes we have got 2 of everything and some SCBU will have a double cots,so they may not be separated,jack and charlotte wasnt,they asked us if we wanted them in there own cots or a double one,we said double as they were so early and they looked so cute laid next to each other,each trying to take up the most room.they both took to the mosses basket no trouble and again with there cots but if you look how thin the mattress are in the mosses basket,when you put them in there cots they will think its a step up :lol: again they were no trouble putting them in there cots

sarah
  • Options
    Oh, Sarah. I didnt know they had double cots in SCBU. That would be lovely if theyre early and very small. Will ask about that.
  • Options
    the nurses did warn us that they didnt have many double cots but they would try very hard to get one for us and they did search but they did find one,they do look really cute in a cot together,so yes do ask if they have a double cot!

sarah
  • Options
    Hi Amber
    They are still in with us at the moment so are not spending the nights in their cotbeds but they have their daytime naps in there and sleep fine. My girls could sleep on a washing line though - they get it from their mother!
  • Options
    hi ya, my twin girls are 7 months old and born at 36 weeks. 1 of my girls was in scbu but not the other for 3 days, they both hated being separated and so did I!! lol, when olivia was returned to the ward with me and heidi they automatically put them in the same 'cot' if thats what you can call the hosp boxes image. they were a lot more settled so when we went home at 5 days we put them in the same moses baskets, but had brought quite a big one, not a little one, then moved them into the same cot, and about 5 months old they went into separate cots, that was only as heidi was quite a bit bigger than her sister and i was so worried she would squash her at this point. good luck xx
  • Options
    My two wouldn't fit in their moses baskets together even when tiny! So we had two. We do have one cot bed up for when they go into it... but they love their moses baskets and settle in there very easily plus they are only 13 weeks at the mo so not heading for the cot just yet! xx