Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Twins in the family

Hi

After a lot of research I have been told that their identical twins are not hereditary (in fact no-one seems to be certain what caused identical twins, I am pregnant with identical twins and I think its coz I went to Thorpe Park when I was unknowingly pregnant, I think the rollercoastes caused the egg to split! lol) Non identical twins are genetic but its the woman who has to inherit the Hyper ovulation gene.

Replies

• can u think docs can miss twins early???
  • How early are you? I went for a scan at 7 weeks, and was told there was definately only one, and we could only see one. At my 12 week scan, we were told that we are having identical twins.
  • Hi ladies

My sister is mum to 2 sets of identical twin boys. As much as I love all my nephews i was quite relieved to know i'm only carrying one - unless of course one is hiding!!! Sab x
  • hi sab congrats on your pregnancy. do you know if your sis drank lots of milk when she was ttc?
  • Hi Doublebubble.

Sorry but I have no idea about the milk thing. I know the 1st set were planned but the 2nd were completely unexpected. There are 7 years in between so they're not too much of a handful all together !!! Is milk / Calcium supposed to have an effect? Sab x
  • My nan is a twin(non identical) ,my aunt had twins (non identical boys) and my cousin had twins (identical boys).. now I am expecting non identical twin boys ! So who knows .... I guess there are no hard and fast rules ! ( Oh and my husbands grandfather was a twin ... non identical boys)