Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Full time employ, married and twins. What can i claim

Our income is ??40,000.
We currently rent and would like to stay in employment after the birth if possible.
We live in S.E. London.
Can anyone tell us how much we can claim, if anything.
I could really do with someone in the same position that could tell me excactly how much they get. It would really help with the worring.
Thanks
Jason:\?

Replies

• Hi there didnt want to R&R. Your wife will be able to claim Statutory Maternity Pay from her employer, omce she goes on to maternity leave which is usually from 29 weeks. Other than that with the combined income that you have i wouldnt have thought that you would receive anything else. There is the surestart maternity grant but your salary is far too high for that. Hope this helps

Regards Sarah
  • Not really, but thanks.
    I was hoping for help with childcare cost's at least.
    Maybe one of us will have to give up work. Prob be better off.
  • Once your lo's arrive you will get child benefit, currently about ??80 for the first and ??65 for the second per month. You should also be entitled to child tax credits, I think you would get similar to us, about ??75 a month, but you may get more as only one of my lo's is under one and obviously both of yours would be. Not sure about the childcare bit as I am a stay at home mum, maybe ask on the Working mums forum, see if any of them know?
    xx
  • I wish I was earning that much! I'm likely to loose my job before the twins are born. As your salary is quite high, you'd probably only be able to claim child benefit. If due after April 09, expectant mum's get a ??190 grant.... not sure what the qualifying details are though. Some mum's also get a sure start grant....

Good luck with the twins!

12+4 TWINS
    xx

[Modified by: snowangel on December 16, 2008 12:26 PM]

• Hey Congrats.

Re benefits as your in the upper earnings bracket you are not entittled to much. re childcare you need to see if your company does a childcare voucher scheme, this would mean you pay less income tax but you still have to pay for the full amount of chidcare. re tax credits only one baby counts under one no matter how many you have.

I know it seems scary now but it really is true that you manage on what you have, we have had to give up our expensive tastes but Im happier now. Good Luck
  • Hi
    You will get Child benifit and Child tax credits (more in the first year of babies life).Don't forget to claim because we didn't realise we would get any more child tax credit after we had our second and left it to late and they wouldn't back date.
    I don't think you will get any help with childcare unless your company has a scheme.I had no childcare help when I was working due to my husbands earnings and after 2 children I gave up work as I was paying more in childcare than I was earning!!!
    Good luck with your impending arrivals
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Thanks everyone. Very helpful