Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Blood Tests for 1st Time Twins Mum to be

Hi All
First timer here! (1st time mum and forumer) Im 38 and quite overweight.
Just had 12 wk scan and have twin pregnancy, both good size so far but hospital have told me they cant test for congenital defects via usual blood test as twins may mask each other or give false high result leading to un-necessary amnio. Has anyone else decided not to have any further tests? My hospital dont offer a nuchal test and as we wouldnt change outcome if they are affected we've decied not to go private. How has it gone for everyone else?

Thanks

ps Am now 12 wks 3 days and huge as a barrage balloon! image

Replies

• Hey congrats on your multiple pregnancy. I didnt have any extra blood tests but did have the nucual fold test. Having further tests is such a difficult decision. I guess you have to work out if you would rather know in advance or wait till babies are born, also it depends on whether or not you would have a termination if the results confirmed the worst. Personally I would have rather known so that i could prepare myself for when the babies were born, but if i really put my hand on my heart as ashamed as i am to admit it i think i would have had a termination if they were going to be extremely life limited. On the upside most test show completely healthy babies so it can take the stress out of an already difficult pregnancy.

Re looking like a balloon, my husband always called me his keg coz i looked like a beer barrell from about 12 weeks

good luck on what ever you decide to do xxDBxx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev228pf___.png