Forum home Babies Twins & multiples

Twins 9 weeks early

My boys were born 9 weeks early weighing 4lb and 3lb15oz, they were born 2hr50min apart my story is on Twins Ttriplets and More 'Read all About it' I woke feeling sore started contractions 1 hour later and had first twin by vaginal delivery about 2 1/2 hour later never made it to hospital waters broke in ambulance and we had to stop at the equivalent of a Cottage Hospital. Second twin arrived by section 2hr 50 min later. 4 ambulances were involved and 2 helicoptors we are in the Highlands. They were born on the 15th September after a quick birth. I also have a son who is nearly 14 months old. Babies are now in special care and fortunately they never really needed any assistance apart from caffine and oxygen. Really missing boys due to being 1 1/2 hours away from hospital we having to go down twice/three times a week as hubby saving days for when they home, plus I so tired and expressing too. Worried about bonding etc not seeing them enough and missing them like mad. I have a good midwife who I can talk to plus have mastitis now as well so sore. Any advice on how to stop feeling so quilty all the time?

Replies

• test - server wouldnt let me reply last night

[Modified by: denise007 on September 30, 2008 09:08 PM]

• Congratulations on the birth of your wee boys, whats their names?

They are good weights (Kenny was 7w early, 4lb 4oz) and its great they dont need any more medical intervention, it shows they are healthy and just need to grow a bit. Once they get the hang of waking for feeds and feeding independently you will spend a couple of nights with them in the hospital to see how you all manage with the feeding and if its going well you will be free to go.

I also had terrible guilty thoughts but I had to realise that this was no ones fault this was happening, I looked around the SCBU one day and there were lots of babies and parents in the same situation as me and it helped to chat to the other parents.

Its difficult not having a cuddle when you want but it makes you cherish the time you spend with them. Have you tried kangaroo care, the skin to skin contact is great for babies and mums to get really close, I loved having Kenny and me snuggled in my huge fleece and it really helped me bond with him. He is now a healthy and thriving 10 month old.

I hope your wee bundles of joy are home with you all soon.

xxxx

[Modified by: denise007 on September 30, 2008 10:06 PM]

[Modified by: denise007 on September 30, 2008 10:07 PM]

• congrats on your 2 boys. What great weights they were. Well done you!!! My 5th child Amelia was just over 5 weeks early and was 5lb 7oz.
    Sounds like you will have them home in no time at all.

You have your hands full (in a nice way) with a 14 month old too. Wow!!!! We as I said are a big family and tho it can be hard work its also a lot of messy fun!!!

Hope the boys keep improving and you feel better soon.

d xx
  • hi hun
    my little boy was 9 weeks early weighing 3.8ozs he didnt need anybreathing assistance luckliy he was also my firts baby, i flet guilty for giving birth so early and going to and from hospital was very tiring he also got a lung infection while he was in there that was very frightening, he is now 4and a half months old and doing really well.
    i felt like s##t for a while and didnt really know what to do or how i should be feeling it took me a while to bond with him and get too know him but now i know him inside and out and i love him so much he is the most gorgeous baby in the world but then im biased lol.
    so dont beat yourself up about anything that has happened and take each day at a time if you need to cry , cry if you need to laugh do so and dont feel guilty about it it makes you feel alot better believe me and before you know it they will be home and you will be loving every minute of it hun.
    take care and im on here most days so if you need a chat, just chat away theres also a lovely lady on here called deedee hope she doesnt mind me saying that she has helped me along the way.

xxx