Forum home Babies Twins & multiples

Twin Update

Boys nearly at the end of the 3rd week in SCBU, and still doing really well. They both have a heart murmour and will be getting tested again, but been told not to worry. Both feeding well and taking suck feeds. I have mastitis again and unfortunately I have decided Im going to cut down and eventually stop my expressing, by the time i have finished they should have had 6 weeks of breast milk or thereabouts. Both gaining lots of weight and feeding 4 hourly. I have been feeling really down miss them as the hospital is so far away and having a 14 month old it isnt possible to be down there all the time, plus hubby saving days for when they home. The staff are great and offer lots of support. I have fed them and changed them , but it is hard to bond only seeing them for a few hours a couple of times a week. The hospital is 1 1/2 hours away so that is 3 hours in a car plus only really get a couple of hours there, and they spend a lot of time sleeping and sometimes we get there when they have just fed and need to go by the time they due next feed. All I seem to want to do is cry. Worry about them being in SCBU then worry about having them home, all very confusing. I know I will be fine looking after them and have a great hubby, but no family nearby and have a few friends who will help and a great childminder. Anyway will update soon.

Replies

• Hi hun
    I haven't been on for a while but wanted to congratulate you on the birth of your boys. It sounds like they are doing really well.
    My little girl was born 12 weeks early and was in hospital for 7 weeks. She is now 9 months ( uncorrected) and doing great.
    People don't really understand how hard it is to have a baby in hospital and all the organising and travelling that is involved. You're expected to turn into supermum.
    it is very understandable that you are feeling overwhelmed and emotional at the moment. I know it isn't easy to rest when you have a little one at home, but try to have some 'me time' and feel reassured that your lovely twins are in a safe place.
    The BLISS web site is great for support and information.
    good luck
    Maria
  • Hi I am glad that your twins are doing well. Don't worry they will be home before you know it although it doesn't seem so at the minute with all your traveling. Kara was born at 34+4 weeks and was in SCBU for 2 weeks. I wasn't too bad as she was my first so I didn't have to worry about any other babies at home and also I only live about 10 minutes away from the hospital and all my family and husbands live close. Just keep thinking positive and you will have them home soon and you will bond very well with them then.
  • Thats great that the boys are continuing to do well.

Kenny also had a heart murmur which is very common in premature babies and it sorted itself by 6 months with no interventions at all.

Well done expressing for the boys but there comes a time that its just not possible anymore for whatever reason so try not to beat yourself up for stopping. Your wee ones had the best start you could have given them and their weight gain shows that. They are doing well feeding for themselves and will continue to improve regardless if its breast or formula.

Having a baby in SCBU is the hardest thing iv ever had to deal with and each day would bring different emotions ranging from complete happiness to crying all day. Take each day as it comes and we are always here if you need to chat.

Denise
    xxxx