Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

FAO posie1971..RE.. NUTRIPREM2

hi iv just been rading through posts in this forum to try and see if anyone had an experience of np2 and found you image

iv just had twins born at 33+6 and have been feeding them EBM now they are home and 37weeks gestation they are feeding alot more and more regularly around 3oz every 3 hours i am expresssing around 3oz ever 3 hours so half the amount i need so have been prescribed np2 and advised to mix there feeds so iv been giving them 2oz ebm and 1oz np2 but at the end of my tether as they are bringing it all back up as soon as they have fed and making them consipated imagead: i contacted nicu last night as they were so sick i was really worried they were rubbish and couldnt give me any advice..
so just a question really did u take your LO to the docttors to get meds and stuff and what did they suggest to you ??? the last thing i want is for them to loose weight and end up bak in hospital at the momentthey still only weigh 4lb 1 and 3lb 12...

sorry to ramble on just need a little advice
thankyou
xxx

[Modified by: pinktwinnies on 07 March 2010 16:44:40 ]

Replies

• Hey pinktwinnies and congrats on your girls!

Did you find that EBM also got brought up on it's own before you started mixing it with NP2?
    We found that EBM came back up more easily than formula as it's thinner in consistency :roll:
    I did find that NP2 made my DD very windy and rather uncomfortable, and quite possibly constipated.
    We sort of thought we had to get on with it for a while, but after being diagnosed with reflux by the paeds at the hospital we switched her over to Aptamil1 and she was a chnaged baby. We struggled for months to get NP2 into her thinking it was what's best, with all the extra calories, vits and minerals etc. In the end Aptamil1 went down much better and we used vits and iron supplements as prescribed by the docs to supplement her levels.
    I wouldn't suggest that you go down this route though unless you have some support from your local NICU. I had a liaison officer assigned to us and she was great at getting us hospital appts and generally offering advice and support. I'm guessing from what you say you don't have this luxury?? A sorry state of affairs really that we can't all have the same sort of support throughout the country...it was my lifeline. Do you have a good HV who could help?
    WHen you mention meds, do you mean for reflux? I got all these through the hospital paeds, as doctors are notoriously bad at diagnosing or believing that babies suffer from reflux sadly, and it can be a very distressing time for new parents and very painful for baby.
    I do know of friends that have managed to convince their doctors that their babies had reflux and got meds prescribed, but they were full term babies, and were not given the sort of meds we had, as I believe they are generally only given via paeds after appointments and assessment at the hospital.
    Hope this may be of some help...you can always email me via the link if you want to chat some more

Iz & Skye x
  • sorry for gatecrashing, my dd was born at 32 weeks weighing 4lb 11oz so went onto SMA gold rather than NP2 and suffered with reflux while in scbu. she was put on ranitadine (sp) but they tried her off it a few days before she came home and she seemed fine.

a few weeks later she was a really handful, screaming after being laid down after a feed and being sick, although it wasnt after everyfeed. i watched a show on sky called the 'baby whisperer' and she was dealing with a baby that was exactly like my dd. she said that this baby was suffering from either reflux or silent reflux (same thing but with less or no vomitting)

i took her to the doc and told him what was happening, what had happened in scbu and that i thought she had silent reflux. he agreed with me and prescribe infant gaviscon.
  • thanks for your replies image they havent been to bad these past few days up untill today!! tonight they have been terrible with constipation imagead: tippical really during the week when the doctors is open they are okay then come weekend its awful again :roll: i am definatly going to take them to my gp on monday!!! they seem to be tollerating the np2 now although im stil mixing their feeds half ebm and half np2 eventually to wean them off the emb as its so much pressure expressing for to demanding 1 month old twins andthey dont seem to be interested on going on to the breast
    xxxx