Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Just found out were having twins!

Hi eveyone,

I'm 13 weeks pregnant and had our first scan yesterday and discovered we are having twins. Complete surprise, natually concieved.

There were idential twins on hubbys side via his mum but they are Angels after 12 hours of being born, many many years ago.

Soo excited, anxious, nervous and scared, and haven't slept at all so also very tired and emotional!

Can anyone give me an indication of when they finished working when pg with twins?

I am assuming I will need to finish early due to size, tiredness etc but have to sort out my mat leave etc. any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks x

Replies

• Options
    Hi.

Congratulations!

I doubt its sunk in yet, but it will. We found we were expecting twins at 11 weeks and i don't think it sunk in until they arrived!

We have Non-ID boy/girl who weren't concieved naturallyimage

In regard to working as long as u have a fairly trouble free PG even with ID you can carry on working till the 30-numbered-weeks. i worked till 35 weeks and had the twins at 37+6, my PG was far from trouble free with lots of trips to hospital but as i had a desk job i didn't struggle that much and wanted to save as much maternity leave with the twins as possible.

Good luck in your PG, these boards can be a little quite but there is a good one on FB if u need it.

OneNdouble.

xxxxxxx
  • Options
    thanks hun.

Once ive annouced it to everyone and ive put it on fb - i might join that group.

I have a desk job but was hoping to work as close to due date as possible, however I have backache constantly now so can't see that happening with it being twins.

I'll play it be ear and if its too strenous then I'll take leave early.

thanks again xx
  • Options
    mine are non id,i found out at 7wks due to having a fresh bleed,i started with SPD at 13wks and it was pure hell,in the end i was on crutches,when i got to about 28wks i couldnt fit behinde the steeringwheel of the car :lol: i stopped working at 30wks becouse of the spd and iam glad i did but they decided they wanted out at 31wks
  • Options
    Congratulations!!

I found out I was having twins at 5 weeks after severe sickness. The pregnancy was not great! Wasin and out of hospital with hyperemasiss (bad sickness and dehydration), then again with early contractions at 25 weeks - had to have steroid injections. I then felt much better for a while,but at midwife appointment she and a doc said i had to stop work as my uterus was 'tight' and too much movement would cause my waters to break- this was 32weeks. Well, they didn't break and a developed preeclamposia and was induced at 37 weeks!!

But, don't letthis worry you.It wasn't nearly as bad as it sounds!! Everything was defo worth it!

xxx
  • Options
    Hi I found out at 5 weeks that I was having twins, and found out at 8 weeks that they are going to be identical.

Had a few weeks where I have felt really bad, just sickness really, but I feel fine now, i'm 17 weeks today.

I'm not sure what to do about work either, would like to work as long as I can, but I dont have a desk job, but can imagine the back ache already!

Congratulations on your double bump, exciting times ahead xx
  • Options
    Hi,

Congratulations, I have 5 month old non identical boys!! Being a twin mum is hard work, but so much fun!!

I finished work at 30 weeks, i had a job where i spent a lot of time on my feet (although a desk job in theory) and found it a real struggle by the time i left. My boys weren't born until 37+3 though, by planned section. If i had to do it again i would finish that early again just to have a good rest, you won't know what hits you when they arrive!! Oh and they were 6lb 3oz and 7lb 3oz when born (quite a shock as i didn't seem that big).

Good luck with your pregnancy and keep us all posted xx
  • Options
    thanks Ladies.

I've planned to leave at end of July using some holidays which would put me at 36 weeks so I think I will be bringing that forward and finishing earlier as I think time a home before the twins arrive would be needed!

I have also had severe sickness and was very close be being admitted but managed to keep some water down and had bed rest as moevment made me sick - now we know why I was sooooo ill. Its seems to have passed now and although I get headache I feel a lot more human than I have since we found out I was pg.

Good luck with your pregnacies, we are now on the hunt for a pram within a reasonable price range! Any pram advice would be much appreciated xx
  • Options
    I've got my pram from mothercare, and paying for it using the baby plan
  • Options
    Jayloweuk - How often are your scans?

The hospital booked me in at 21 weeks for the next one, I rang my mw as I wasn;t happy waiting till them (8 weeks) and she said she going to arrange an earlier one as they are sharing a placenta I need scans more often.

We are out this weekend pram testing, we also need to make sure it fits in the boot of the car as we have a saloon not a hatchback!
  • Options
    I'm having them every two weeks,but this has only just started. The consultant has said from 16weeks I'll have a scan every two week and after 20 weeks the consultant himself will be doing the scans himself till they are born.
  • Options
    Congratulations!!

I have twin girls who are now 25 months old, and came at 36+6 and I left work at 31 weeks, but could of done another week or 2 to be honest (also desk job0. x
  • Options
    Glad i found this post, Im now 11 weeks pg with non identical twins, Have also wondered about when to aim to work up to. Im in retail and spend all my shift on my feet, although i only work part time now.

I already feel big, Its my 2nd time as i have a daughter who is 16 months old.

So far the symptoms have been ok, a little sickness, but today ive felt dreadfull, really dizzy and sick.

Do any of you ladies know how often they normaly scan non identical twins. X
  • Options
    I had to leave work at 28 weeks following a bleed with my twins, if you're on your feet a lot you need to rest for the sake of the babies - I had mine 8 weeks early and wish I'd've rested more. It may have made no difference, but I'll always wonder.

Depends how you/them are doing and your care (I was under consultant) as to how often they scan you. eg my son, twin 1 was placenta previa grade 4 which meant they had to scan me every couple of weeks (in the plan, we never got there) to see if it was moving. I wanted to plan, but in reality it will change and you have to simply go with it.

enjoy x
  • Options
    Congratulations! I have 10 month old non id boys. I was actually still working (Thank God my waters broke over the weekend at home!)when they arrived at 35 weeks, I was supposed to work one more week. It was really tough working that long and I have no idea how I did it but as the main wage earner I had no choice (hubby already part time looking after daughter in day and working at night). I was lucky in that I had no symptoms during pregnancy other than being huge! All the trouble started on the day they were born when it was discovered Jared has a rare congenital condition. This was not picked up on scans that I was having once a month.Enjoy the twin journey, it's a hard one but a fun one x