Forum home Babies Twins & multiples

Early scan, different sizes - help?

Hi all,

Cutting a very long story short we had an early private scan last Monday where we found that I was 5 weeks and there were two amniotic sacs, too early to see any fetal poles / heartbeats etc.

So today we had a scan with NHS. Still two sacs, and we now have 2 fetal poles, but no heatbeats. The sonographer said that he couldn't find heartbeats because they are just too small so we're going back Friday next week for another scan.

The other news was that both fetal poles are different sizes: one is 4.5mm, the other 2.8mm. Is this unusual?? They're not identical (2 separate eggs) so I suppose logically it's perfectly possible, but I'm still worried sick now.

Replies

• mine were always different sizes but i cant remember the difference,hope everything is ok for next week and keep us posted and congratulations
  • Thanks, and will do image
  • hiya just wanted to say when i went for my first scan they measures a day apart and a few scans on they a week apart!they were just growing at different rates but when they were born they were 7lb 11oz and 8lb 2 oz so there wasnt a big difference in them xx
  • Hi there, hopefully i can reassure you as i am a midwife and a sonographer!

Firstly congratulations!

Secondly i would really try not to worry as it's very hard to accurately measure a fetal pole at that early gestation and that's why they tend not to date a pregnancy until you're about 10weeks, preferrably nearer 12. It's very hard to see that you are measuring the 'longest' bit of a fetus that small, so it's very possible that they just hadn't measured the full length of the one that came up smaller.

You will have a much better idea of accurate sizing at a scan further down the line but even then there may be some discrepency-as you've already rightly said if they are non identicle then they will often grow at different rates.

It's hard to totally reassure you but based on the info you have given i wouldn't be worried at this stage.

Hope all goes well

• Thanks so much for your responses, I really appreciate it & am feeling much calmer now. Am really looking forward to our scan on Friday.
  • how did your scan go?
  • Not good I'm afraid.

The hospital told us that I've had a missed miscarriage, they didn't really give us much more information than that. I wasn't 100% convinced so we went for a private scan yesterday - there was no way I was about to book in for an ERPC unless I was 100% sure and the NHS did nothing to inspire that confidence.

Sadly the consultant yesterday confirmed that we have lost them both, probably a few weeks ago.

I don't think I've any more crying left in me :cry:
  • Oh hun, i'm sooooo sorry. I hope i didn't give you false hope but what you described could have been totally normal.

I have been thru a MMC myself so have some idea what you're going thru.

Sending love and hugs, the tears will lessen in time but look after yourselves in the mean time.

xXx
  • Thanks, and no, you didn't give me false hope. I think that deep down I knew already, I've felt quite different over the last week or so.

The consultant yesterday recommended that I give myself a week to see if I miscarry naturally, so that's what I'm doing. Although it's horrible just waiting for things to start :cry:

Once again, thanks for your response, I really do appreciate it.
  • omg,iam so sorry
  • Thanks.

It may feel like the end of the world right now, but we know it's not, and fully intend to try again just as soon as we're both ready.
  • thats good,take it easy xx