Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Twins how common is it that one has gone by next scan..?

Does anyone know how common it is to have a 12 week scan find your having twins then the next scan shows only one? Thank you

Replies

• Options

A friend of mine had a very early scan at about 6 -7 weeks and they found triplets, they scanned her again at about 9 weeks and one had disappeared, by the time she got to the 12 week scan there was only one baby which she carried to term. Had she not had those early scans she would never have known that there was more than one baby!

I'm no expert but I think the disappearing twin thing is more common before the 12 week mark, if there are 2 healthy babies at the 12 week scan then I think there is a very good chance that both will be fine! x

• Options

I'm not entirely sure but would agree with babe33 that it would be more common before the 12wk scan as it is the first 12wks that sees most of the forming/development of baby.

• Options

i have read that it is very common,cant remeber the figures but it did say a few pregnancies start out as twins and then just becomes a singleton but many people dont have early scans so dont know but babe33 is right,it normally happens before 12wks

• Options
    Thanks for all your advice x