Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Weening twins... tips and pointers please!

Hi all.

Against my best judgement and all available advice i'm starting to ween my twins, they are 15 weeks old. But after nearly 14months of sleepless nights (milly never slept through, when she was sleeping better, i was heavy pregnant) I had to try something different. Changing the milk hadnt worked. Nina and Jack are up every 2.5 hours AT OPPOSITE INTERVALS. So 4 hours of brocken sleep is a good night for me, well not good but better than most.

They have a good night-time routine, they go to sleep well, but its keeping them there that is the problem, but it was Milly's problem too. 7pm bedtime, then jack wakes at between 10pm - 11pm, then Nina is up 12am - 1am, jack 2am - 3am, nina 4am - 5am, jack 6am - 7am. Eventhough my partner helps out, it still disturbs my sleep, also I'm lucky that he's not working at the present, so when he does start again, i'm more or less on my own.

Sorry for the essay, but I'm at my wits end.

Cheers
Sally

Replies

• Options
    Hi Sallly

I'm a twin so when i read your post i gave my mum a ring and asked her for some advice! Admittedly she didn't have it as hard as you as we were her only children, saynig that she only found out her bump was 2 babies at 36 weeks so she didn't have long to prepare!!!!

My mum was worried to give you any advice as she says you mustn't feel like you're getting things wrong and says that with twins things are never by the book!!
    She says that she always made sure we fed at the same time
    if one of us woke during the night she'd wake the other one up whether we were due a feed or not and give that one a bottle too. She did this during the day also although said we were in a more similar routine then anyway. She did warn that you will probably have to rope your husband in to help you with the nightime feeds if you're doing them together.

With weaning my mums said she only ever used one bowl and one spoon and didn't worry too much as to how much food we each got, she reckons it worked out fairly over the course of a day! Mum says that this wouldn't be for everyone but she began weaning us at 12 weeks and so gave us bot ha teaspoon of babyrice mixed with some milk just before bed, apperently it knocked us out!

she wants me to wish you all the best and to let you know it really does get easier!

I hope some of this helps, take care xxx
  • Options
    Hi Sally,
    My husband is a twin and like Tasha I asked my mil what she did and she said the same as Tasha's mum. When one woke for a feed she would also wake the other and they were both feeding 1 straight after the other. They were bottle fed.
    She also did the same as Tasha's mum with the solids too. 1 bowl 1 spoon.
    Good luck x
  • Options
    Thanks Ladies,

Any and all advice is gladly taken.

I do have my partner to help out during the night, but i must admit to when one wakes up for a feed, if the other sleeps throu that feed then so be it. I've been getting up during the night for 14 months now, so anything that gets me back to bed quick goes. Even if that means bringing them into bed with us.

I've tried them with sleeping bags this week to see if they are waking up because of getting cold, as when they come into bed with us, they dont have too much to drink. I'll let it go for a week to see what happens.

I've also tried with some baby rice, but busy days have left it too late for us to feed the twins. I remember hating the bit inbetween starting to wean and being fully weaned. I was feeding solids inbetween milk feeds. It felt like i was tied to the house cos every two hours I was having to give a bottle or rice to Milly, it was worse than when she was newborn.

All I can focus on is when the twins are milly age and eating anything, and remembering that to get from morning to bedtime without breaking something or someone is an achievment.

Thanks
    Sally
  • Options

Hi i have 4 month old twins and suffering sleep deprivation i starting weaning them about 3 weeks ago (but have not told my H/V yet)

i thought this would help with the night sleeps but so far no different i seem to be up and down all night long I have been told to wake the other twin when the 1st 1 wakes but I am just so tired i dont do this and just hope the other 1 may sleep through but as yet has not happened i feel guilty for putting them on food so early especially as Lilly is really hefty I am meant to take her to the baby clinic for her weigh in but am now worried that the health visitor will moan about her weight they both seem to enjoy there solids Harry more than Lilly but Harry is still alot smaller than Lilly but deffo seems to eat more solids but hard to tell how much exactly they eat as I feed them out of same bowl with same spoon for convenience.

• Options

i weaned my son at 16wks and hv was very supportive.

also the shared bowl is a tip ive heard loads of times for twins, sounds like both babies are happy and thats what matters x

• Options

Hi Sally,gosh they are growing fast,i remember your 1st post saying you were expecting the twins.

Im sure all the advice given will help no end,not that i have a good idea with twins but i also started riley on solids at 14+wks and my HV was also very supportive and gave good advice like start them on the odd few spoons then slowly increase the amounth they have to ensure a good start. Riley hated baby rice so i gave him rusk and milk,much nicer and found he was more satisified.

Best of luck and let us no how you get on,same to all the other twin mummys.xx

• Options
    I used to be a nanny to baby twins,and we used the same pot of food for both,saves messing around.I think you have to wean your baby whenever they're ready.You can't just go by age.I id my first at 12 weeks,one at 10 weeks,all well before the 6 months we're all supposed to wait till.It just takes time.Most of mine wouldn't eat the plain baby rice,so I got them the fruit ones.I also made them purees,but it is best to keep things as simple for you and the babies at first.
    We had some massive weight gains at some clinic weigh ins.I used to sneak in and out,weigh Matilda and get out before the hv visitor checked her weight.Not possible with two I'm sure,must be quite a hassle doing baby clinic with two babies.
  • Options

Gonna take the twins to clinic tomorrow gonna be brave my kids so my decision to wean them.

It is quite hard work going up there but as I dont go out that much is also quite nice to go out .

Will just have to see what they say about the weight gain but they both seem healthy and happy to me so surely that is good.

Just hoping my older 2 are back at school tomorrow fingers crossed the snow is really light here today so guessing both schools will re open