Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Help

Hi Girls

I'm looking for some help at lunchtimes before i completely lose the plot.

Cameron is refusing point blank to eat anything at lunchtime and it's becoming a real battle. Today is the worst he's ever been and i've had to go and put him down in his cot as i'm reaching the end of my tether with him.

He ate all his breakfast this morning and then had 7oz milk, he had a small snack at 10am with a drink but he just doesn't seem to want any lunch at all. I'm sure he isn't too tired as he's already had a 1 hour nap this morning. He's been doing this for over a week now and he's always fine at breakfast and tea times, it's just lunch he doesn't seem interested in. It's getting so bad that when i put him in his chair he starts screaming and doesn't stop until he's almost being sick.

Help

Replies

• Dawn I really feel for you, it is surely just a phase, how about stopping his snack and giving him an early lunch? Mine have lunch around 11.30 which works for us as they aren't too tired then can sleep 12-2 then have afternoon to go out etc.

What about trying to feed him in a different room or let him sit at a booster sit at the table in stead of his highchair? They won't starve themselves so please don't make it into a battle im sure he will want something when he wakes. Tate is the same at dinner time, he hardly touches his dinner, but i know that he eats well in the day, plenty of fruit and a good lunch so i've had to stop stressing about it.

• hi dawn, im sorry you are having a hard time of it at the moment. how about just letting him snack at little bits throught the afternoon rather than sitting him at the table for a meal?? that way, you will still get his lunch into him, but it wont feel like a chore to him.

sorry i cant be much help.

fingers crossed for you

kas xx

• At the mo the little monkey's happily nibbling on a banana while he watches ITNG!!

I'm going to try and not get stressed tomorrow and see how we get on! Hopefully af will have arrived and the miserable witch that seems to have taken over my body for the last week will bugger off!

Thanks girls xx

• Hi Dawn.  I went through hell trying to get my son to eat at around the same age and a little beyond.  It becomes a vicious circle, they don't eat, you get upset, they get upset because you are and you get more upset because they are upset and so on.  I called a halt when both of us were in tears one lunchtime and i decided that I wanted to enjoy my son, not fight him every inch of the way.  I stopped getting stressed and if he chose not to eat, then fine, he didn't eat.  I found I was calmer if I went into meal times expecting him to eat nothing and if he did I felt good, and he felt good.

It was a phase and he did get over it, but as simple as it sounds, staying calm is the key.

• Obviously I can't offer advise just wanted to say that I hope things are better tomorrow lunch time Dawn x x

• Dawn,im the same as nicola with lunch,have always given riley his about half 11 and it works well now with nusery to.

You could cut his 10am snack and bring lunch forward.

• Hiya Dawn I can totally sympethise with you on this going through the same thing with Kai at the moment he always eats his breakfast but quite often doesn't want lunch and even tea sometimes Ive stopped giving him snacks between meals. It is upsetting when they wont eat and he doesn't just turn away he will actually scream and throw a tantrum over it.

Last friday he didnt eat his lunch so I just calmly left it and thought he must not be hungry, then Sean met me from work with him at 4 (when he should have bn havin his tea) and he'd refused that too. I gave him a really ripe banana and he ate the lot Ive sort of put it down to the fact that he's teething and think the spoon might be hurting his gums. One of my friends told me her daughter was the same and just giving her a spoon to hold while she fed her did the trick for them.

ive just stopped worrying about it and if he doesnt eat what Im offering him he waits til his next meal like Mel said he's not gonna starve but I know its hard when they're screaming at you and getting upset. Hope it gets better for you, let us know x

• Hi Dawn, can't offer much advice really but maybe just go with it as poss a phase? If he was hungry he'd eat so try not to worry too much. Hope today's lunch goes betterimage