Forum home Babies Weaning

Weaning advice please!

This plea for advice may seem a little strange as I already have one happily weaned three year old, but with him I was told when to start him on solids as he was being so closely monitored by the HV and paeds.

What are the signs, other than not sleeping very well and still being hungry after usual feeding patterns, that a baby is ready to be weaned?  My daughter is nearly five months old and I have no idea.  She has recently changed her feeding routine to being far less frequent, and she seems perfectly happy and content,sleeps fine (albeit with a muslin on her head, but that is another thread altogether!) and she shows no signs of being any less plump. 

Anyone else managed to avoid using formula and bottles at all during the weaning process?  I'd like to, her and me allowing, but only actually know one person who has managed this.

Thanks ladies!

N. xx

Replies

• Not much help but when weaning riley i would give a poridge with milk and then give remaining mil in the morning and when we made it to brekki and luch i gave ony juice during the day and milk 1ft thing with brekki and milk for bed.

Hope you are able to find something that suits you both.

• Hi Melanie. Yep, breastfeeding and would rather go straight from the breast to a cup and cow's milk when the time is right and not do the bottle thing and formula. I never intended my son to have bottles and formula but I was told he needed something other than my breast milk when he was five and a half months old as he was losing weight and couldn't afford to do that. My son appears to have picked up some kind of genetic bronchial thing from my husband and I was told by my doctor that it would have been worse had he not been breastfed so I am more determind to keep her at it as long as is possible within reason. It is just those first indicators that she is ready for weaning that stumps me at the mo. She is showing interest in food but she's done that from day two, literally, always knew that food was around and demanded to be fed as soon as it was served.
  • Nic

If she's wanting more feeds and is waking up again, that's a good sign. Try her on baby rice to start with, that's what we did with Ciaran, I first tried him at lunch time as he was more receptive to trying something new then. She might not take much at the beginning but will let you know when she wants it and how much. You could also get a Doidy cup instead of a bottle to cup trainer, Ciaran prefers using his.

Call me if you want to talk.

Lou

• Hi Lou!  Haven't seen you on here for a while.

I think she is just suffering from a very mild attack of the virus that Bon's been suffering from, but she's pooing far more frequently than usual  Gone are the few but huge poos and there are many more little ones and her bottom is very sore.

I have a doidy cup that Bon still uses but I really do want to try and avoid using bottles and want to try and get her onto cups.  I don't think she is ready yet for weaning as her sleeping is OK, as long as she's left to it and there isn't too much to see around her to distract her.

I'll try and ring you tomorrow!

Love, N. xxxx