Forum home Babies Weaning

Weaning and highchairs

Hi ladies

Lyvi is coming up to 6 months this month and we're hoping to start BLW somewhere between her actual and corrected age (so 6 - 7 months old).

We bought the Chicco Polly Magic highchair before she was born as it could be used from birth and we were keen to have somewhere high up to put her while our 2 dogs got used to our new addition (as it turns out they were fantatsic with her from day one and she was too small to use the highchair!). Anyway, she is still way too small for her highchair, wtih or without the newborn insert in! The insert makes it more reclined (even when the chair is in the most upright position as it pushed her bum forward into more of a lying position) so isn't really suitable for weaning. So tonight I've taken the insert out and tried proping her up with towels - one under her bum to lift her up and more into the harness and one behind her neck and head so she's more upright but I'm not sure it's very comfotable and the harness is still too big.

She's still only about 11lbs and not even 60cm long. And there is no chance that she'll be able to reach up onto the tray anytime soon!

What have others done in terms of highchairs and weaning with tiny ones? Can anyone recommend a highchair that is more suited to small babies?

Thanks, love NN and Olyvia xxx

Replies

• AArrrggh BE just ate my reply!!

Hiya,

We had the same problems when we started weaning our DD. At first i used her Bumbo seat with the tray attached and this seemed to work well. Or occasionally i used to put her in her highchair in a slightly reclined position with a pillow underneath and behind her, so she was sitting upright.

Now she is in her highchair (M&P Zest) and can reach the tray fine without pillows or extra support. She is 7.5 months and weighs just over 12lbs and is about 60cm.

Good luck, hope this helps xxx
  • Hi we have the same high chair and weaned from 4.5 months (real age) - using purees etc and introduced a mixture of baby led wearning at around 9 months (real age). We always fed on the 2nd recline until our babies (i have twins) were 1 year old. My little boy who is now nearly 14 months old still only weighs 14lb 12oz and is a short 67cm (major problems in getting him to put on weight) and we still struggle to get him to fit in it well when it is really upright. Unfortunately there is not really anything else around suitable for premmies -trust me I looked - in the end we feed them in their bouncers for ages and then just fed them on the 2nd recline. We did invest in two ikea highchairs but only any good once they can sit up (which my two could not do until 11 months) - however even now we have to stuff towels around them as they can flop to the side.

We also got bumbos and my two again were just too small for them.

It is a nightmare dealing with premmies.

Mrs WB xxxx
  • We got on really well with a Bumbo and tray too when weaning to start with, and also used a bouncy chair on an upright setting. My LO fitted in these happily until she was about 7 or 8 months (6 corrected), and they were great to take to use in other people's houses etc.

We then progressed to the Safety 1st Recline n Grow seat, suitable from 3 months, and we still use it now at 20 months old (18.5 corrected). It's dead cheap, ??35, and can be converted to a booster to use at a table when they get bigger! I have found it really good and very supportive for small babies. I have to say it has probably been my best buy so far - http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.205-1891.aspx

My LO goes in my sister's Chicco Polly highchair now and still looks wee in it at 24 lbs and 80cm or so!! The tray seems so high!