Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

weaning prem twins

Sorry - I know the weaning question has been asked a few times, but just wanted to see if you could give me any advice on my twins. They were born at 32.5 weeks & are now 34 weeks, so nearly 8 months. Corrected age is just over 6 months. They were 3lb 8oz (both the same) when born & about 14lbs now. They're on the lower end of the weight scale (Elizabeth is particularly low, just above 2nd centile).

Daft question Number 1 - to work out months now, do I still divide by 4 weeks? Or go by date, i.e. 8 months on 6 Nov? (they were born 6 March).

Anyway, I've been feeding them purees for a few weeks now. Grace loves it and eats pretty much anything you gie her (she's the bigger twin). I would say she's almost ready to go onto finger foods to be honest. Elizabeth on the other hand only takes small amounts & also drinks less milk. I've been looking at different routines trying to work out times to give them foods & milk, but am getting confused with what to give when! Any advice on times/routines?

I'm just about to try mashed carrot for lunch & poss banana, wish me luck.......

Thanks!
Emma

Replies

• Options
    Sorry have't got answers to weaning questions as was wondering the same myself, however the months goes on the day they were born i.e 1 of the month they will be one month one the following 1st etc.... hope this makes sense:\?

xx
  • Options
    I always counted from the day Kara was born and not due. She was born at 34+4 and weighed 3lb 12lbs. She is 13 months now. I weaned her at 5 months from the day she was born and have had no problems.
  • Options
    ok thanks both for the replies.
    Emma
  • Options
    Hi there

What's your current feeding routine? Then I can maybe suggest any changes or what we did with my lo (born 34 weeks).

• Options
    Hi there

What's your current feeding routine? Then I can maybe suggest any changes or what we did with my lo (born 34 weeks).

• Options
    Hi there. Thanks for the reply - still confused so any advice welcome!

To be honest, the routine's gone to pot a bit at the mo. But yesterday we did:

6am - milk (they're waking at 5:45)
    7am - nap for 30 mins
    8:30 - baby cereal & milk (they took less milk here)
    10:00 Nap for 30 mins
    12:30 - lunch (puree) & milk
    3pm - milk
    5pm - milk
    7pm - bed
    11pm - dreamfeed

I know it's a bit haywire. I did have them feeding nicely every 4 hours with a nap in the morning & lunch. All over the shop now!

Emma
  • Options
    Sorry - I forgot to say. We've also started giving them a little food with the 5pm feed. I gave them rusk (crushed up with milk) which they liked, and last baby youghurt (stage 1 for 3 to 6 months). Does that sound ok?
  • Options
    Hi there

Sorry not replied for a while!

When I weaned my lo he was breastfed still so I didn't ever give milk and solid at the same time just water with his food and maybe this encouraged him to eat more. I seem to remember it went something like this (timings are all ish - not exact!!!)
    6.30 Breastfeed
    8.00 breakfast (baby cereal/shreddies/weetabix)
    11.00 Breastfeed
    12.30 Lunch - some fruit/veg puree or chicken and veg or pasta and sauce etc etc
    3.00 Breastfeed
    4.30/5 Dinner - similar to lunch
    6.30 breastfeed
    7.00 bed

Now he is 11 months the mid morning and mid afternoon feeds are snacks instead and he doesn't have anything but water before bed (his choice) and has no early morning feed either (his choice again!)

Remember now the twins are over 6months they can have ANYTHING you don't hvae to stick to fruit or veg purees but can introduce all sorts. I started having some finger foods for my lo to mess with as soon as we were weaning - he didn't necessarily eat any but it let him experience them and now he LOVES anything he can pick up and eat himself!!!!

hth image
  • Options
    Thanks CraftyCharli. I love your atavar - says it all!

Did you do a dreamfeed at 11pmish? It looks not from your timings. We're trying to drop it at the moment by bringing the time back to about 10:30pm. However, as you might guess from the time of this post, they woke us up early this morning (5am!). We've had a few 5am starts recently, so I'm going to try and up their feeds if I can.

A few other people have said to separate out the milk and feeds, so I'l do that definitely. I've just bought tomee tipeee stage 1 cups so they can hopefully start to hold them themselves. Don't know how much luck I'll have with that but will give it a go.

Anyway - off to have a cuppa. I had to bring the girls downstairs as they were making such a racket in their cots (laughing and giggling - very cute but far too early!).

Emma x
  • Options
    Hi again

We tried my lo with a dream feed for a while but it made no difference to the time he woke up so we gave it up (as it gave my boobs a rest :lol: ) so can't help on that score.

My lo had a few VERY early starts after the hour change but he now seems to have settle again to about 6ish and will entertain himself in his cot till about 6.45 when I have to get him up on the days I work anyway so we stick to the same on the other days too!

The avatar was him having his very first sandwich!!!! It was back in early August aged 8 months (no corrected) :lol: he LOVES a sandwich!
  • Options
    MY DAUGHTER IS 3MNTHS AND HUNGRY ALL THE TIME CAN I SLOWLY WEAN??
  • Options
    Hi Sammy20, your daughter could be having a growth spurt which makes them super hungry. Increase her milk an oz or 2 each bottle to see if that helps.

xx