Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

She won't Eat

Jessica used to be brilliant at eating, but lately she has become a right pain.

She will not eat lumpy food, she is ok with finger food, but if i were to cook a roast or a casserole (etc) she won't touch it!

The only hot meal i can get her to eat is lasagna and even that is becoming a struggle, the only thing i can guarantee she will eat the whole lot of is jarsimage

Has anyone got any ideas please

Replies

• Hi Simone

It seems to be a faze as riley got funny with food again about this sort of age and i to struggled to find tihigs he'd eat without a fuss. He would still eat a roast potato and a bit of chicken but nothing else.

My mum is also having the same with chan,she's now 1yr 4mths and from eating everything you put in front of her to not much at all,she has become v.fussy.

I made my own chicken strips in breadcrumbs which worked a few times. Riley also got into chips big time but not a big chip fan anymore. But the time his still good with eating is pasta of any shape or spaghetti but they have to be plain with no sauce on them.

I really dont no what to suggest as she's going off the lumpy stuff,could she poss of had a sore thoat at some point where it hurt to swallow hense the assiciation with lumpy food hurting to swallow.

Hope you are able to sort something out and sorry im not much help.

• I think she hasa problem with texture as she won't touch fruit as it makes her heave, she has also gone of mash potato and will just spit it out
  • Riley went of mash potato ages ago,ive tyred putting blended cauliflower in it and even cheese but he still wont eat it. His gone of sausages and at the mo ,the only way im getting him to eat his breakfast is by giving it to him dry and a cup of milk or juice,his fine with a sandwich at lunch but dinner is a mare.

He only wanted toast last night,i gave him 2 slices which he ate and kept asking if he wanted anything else but he said no,kinda felt guilty for cooking me and adi a meal but we both offered him some of our dinner but he kept saying he was fine and not hungry.image

I suppose at his age he eats to fuel his energy(which he tons of)but does not need alot. The only fruit i can get him to eat without a fuss is a banana,his gone off raisins. But the nusery asure me he eats all his food at snack time which is always fruit,breadsticks,and anything else they change on a daily basis.

Does she like yougarts as you could blend down fruit and add it to that as see what she makes of it. The same with icecream if you can do that.

I was gonna try the hidden veg muffins from the mag but he dont like cakes either.

• She loves yogurts, i tend to buy her the fruit pouches as she will eat them with no problems.

She will also eat macaroni cheese and ravioli, but thats to me is not a healthy dinner.

I tend to buy her the organic microwave dinners and she wolfs them down. Is this bad of me!

Half of me thinks not to worry about it as she won't be eating baby food forever and at least she is eating something healthy

• Hi Simone, not spoken in ages. I love the new pic of jessica, she is gorgeous!!!! As ar as eating is concerned i can't help much but i wouldn't worry to much if she's happy. Just try her with foods bit later on and she might take to them again. I was looking at some vitamin drops for jd's food as i worry he's not getting enough vits and minerals etc

Hope you all otherwise well? x

• hiy simone, sorry to hear you are having a rough time with eating at the mo.

i think if jessica will eat jars and those organic ready meals, then let her have them if it means shes getting what she needs out of them, but keep offering your food too. 

have you tried "little dish"? Tash will laugh at me as i could be a sales rep for them, but they are homemade food and if you read the ingredients list, its exactly what youd use at home. they are a little expensive but if i need a quick and easy meal, its great and i never feel guilty about the girls eating them.

http://www.littledish.co.uk/about-us.php

hope this helps. i know its a pain that she wont eat your yummy food, but im sure its just a phase that will pass. sorry i cant be more help.

ps im loving your new piccie of jessica. shes looking so grown up now.

kas xx

• Hiya Simone, so its not just my cooking she hates then ???? PHEW!!!!    If thats what she wants to eat then give her them. You could make your own and blend it. And put it into pots similar to the jars. I have some if you dont, and longer feeding spoons.

I have bought the little dish dinners in the past and they really are very good, but I still prefered to make my own version.

Katelin went through a stage where she would only eat carrots and broccoli if I pureed them. Whilst I thought it was a backward step, I was just happy that she was eating them at all . So if it means pureeing/blending food to get her to eat, then so be it. At least she is getting all the vitamins still, and will be used to the taste as and when she feels ready to try lumps again.

No macdonalds next week then????image

• Simone dont be silly about letting her eat thoes foods as long as she eating enough in balance. They finely chopping veg and ading that into the macaroni cheese.

The organic meals are good to,like you say im sure she will get past it and its just a phaze.

• Tate was exactly the same simone it is a phase they are asserting their independence a bit. What sort of finger foods does she like? I too make my own chicken goujons the boys love them and home made potato wedges. the also love corn on the cob. Luka won't let us feed him at all so its all a bit hit and miss literally. Tate hadn't been eating hardly any dinner as he was overtired. i've reintroduced his nap and he ate his dinner fine last night. try distraction or try eating in a different location. i sometimes let tate sit on the lounge floor on a table cloth and he has a picnic lunch. Don't worry about the jars and the microwave dinners they are all so good now so she will be getting some nutrients that way. Have you spoke to your hv at all?
  • Thanks girls

Lucy, she will eat a macdonalds, its proper dinners she won't eat, i was thinking about going back to blending, but thought that it might be wrong as its taking a step back.

Kas those meals look really good, might get some to keep in the freezer

Sarah we are good thanks, working alot this week, but am meeting lucya at an indoor play area next week.

Thanks for all the nice comments about Jessicas picture x