Forum home Babies Weaning

Good foods to combat constipation?

My poor LO suffers from firm stools and constipation, anyone know any foods that help to combat it? Tried getting her to drink water or even juice and she is having none of it! x

Replies

• My little one was constipated recently. I gave her one of the Ella's Kitchen pouches with prunes in it and it did the trick. That and a gentle massage on her tummy in a clockwise direction.

hth x
  • I heard that some prune juice is great. Plus things like apricots, bananas, apples etc

• That prune puree mrsigglepiggle recommends sounds good! You could also try giving a bit of weetabix for breakfast for a while... Thats a 'roughage' which will help with moving things along but is also quite a sweet taste (& mushy) so baby should like it.

• Yes weetabix is always good... although cleaning it off little bottoms is always hard work!!

• lol thanks for that Mummyswan, just as I was reading I took a bite of my chocolate biscuit nice image to have while munching, lol

Fluids and lots of them. Water, milk or juice (if you are giving it), if your little one isn't a big fan then water solid foods will help. Roughage and fibre foods too, like bananas, weetabix, brown breads and rice. 

• Ha! Sorry... Must work on not over sharing! image

• Also doing bicycle movements with their legs, that's meant to help. X
  • Do they drink a lot of cows milk? That can cause constipation, if they do it might be worth watering it down a bit

• Bananas used to bung up my friends toddler. Prunes are good, cauliflowers good, fruit in general is helpful. If my lo's wouldn't take water I would put an ounce or two extra water in the milk bottle. Not a regular thing tho... we are talking probably a couple of times each child.

Extra water is probably the best thing u could do to be honest. How about diluting apple juice? That's the first juice my son accepted. How old is yr wee one? X
  • At least two by now lol. image
  • He the original post was from 2012!
  • I find cooked tomatoes like a pasta sauce or real orange juice tends to get my girls bowls moving. Its the only time either of them get proper juice and neither of them like it !!

• Telling this from my personal experience that prunes or maybe prune juice works the best for constipation. I consumed it regularly on a friend's advice and the results showed in a couple of days (not to mention that constipation was severe in my case). Now any acquaintance of mine who is suffering from constipation, I recommend prune juice only. 

Not only this, there are a lot of study based articles on the internet which can support my claim. You can go through them and decide for yourself.

http://www.foods4betterhealth.com/how-much-prune-juice-for-constipation-28946

http://www.healthline.com/health/digestive-health/prune-juice-for-constipation