Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Baby Led Weaning

Hello everyone

I know a couple of you were going to do BLW and wondered if you could tell me more about it? I have been doing purees for a couple of months but would prefer Matilda to be able to eat with us and the same type of food (minus salt obviously).

As she is used to purees (even though they are boring her) I was going to continue with them for now, but leave them lumpier and add in some finger foods? But I'm not sure what to add?

If you do BLW and leave baby to get on with it themselves, how do you encourage them to eat it - is it just that they see you do it so will do the same?

Thanks image x

Replies

• Options
    Hiya!

I've done BLW with both my babies.

Basically give them absolutely anything from 6 months apart from Honey (until 1yr) and whole nuts (until 3yr). There're no other restrictions.

You don't need to encourange them, just put it in front of them. Their natural reaction is to investigate things with their mouths - you'll have seen her doing this with toys or anything else she gets her hands on. She'll pick the food up, put it in her mouth and most like spit most of it back out. With time, she'll chew/gnaw bits off and learn to swallow.

If something can't be picked up easily (i.e. soup, yogurt, cereal, rice etc) just hand your baby a pre-loaded spoon. They'll know what to do with it! And probably throw the spoon back at you for a refill!

My experience is different for both babies.

MissG didn't ingest a lot until she got teeth at nine months, then got a great appetitie (which wavered slightly according to when new teeth errupted).

MasterG still has no teeth, but there is seriously no filling him. He is such a gannet!

I'd tell anyone who'd listen to try baby led. I've never pureed a thing and have to babies who seriously love their grub image

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

xx
  • Options
    we also started with purees and now we have at least part of the meal as finger food, she has exactly what we have either mashed on a spoon or just for her to handle unless we have a naughty take away!

we have things like toast with something, scrambled egg with cheese is a fave, sweet potato wedges, rice cakes, cooked veg like broccoli, carrots etc fruit, jasmine loves pinapple fingers - weird child :lol: pretty much anything they can hold, apart from nuts and honey