Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

To Wean or Not to Wean???

Hi there

I need to pick your brains please!

Emilia was born at 33 weeks and is now 16 weeks (actual age).

She has never been a big eater. Most feeds she will take 3-4oz and on the odd occasion she will take 5oz. The last few weeks she just does not seem satisfied after a feed. She cannot take a big feed so is hungry an hour or 2 later and now she has gone back to demanding food every 2 hours which is becoming exhausting! She would normally go 4 hours at night but now it's every couple of hours so a good night's sleep is a loooong way off!

I just feel that if she had some proper food she might be more satisfied. I just don't think she can physically take big feeds and so gets uncomfortable but is still hungry, if that makes sense?

Anyway, was thinking of introducing some baby rice or porridge when she hits the 4-month mark as that seems to me to be the only solution, but then I worry that it's too soon.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and if so what did you do? :?

Thank you!!!

Michelle

Replies

• Options
    I weaned my daughter at 4 months because of the exact thing you are describing. Trying to get milk into her was a nightmare. However, she wasnt a preemie so I dont know what difference that will make. When I weaned my daughter she could hold her head up and sit up with a little support, so I felt she was ready. She is much more satisfied and we have never looked back. The only thing I can suggest is to talk to your HV xx
  • Options
    I would do your own research as, in my experience, Health Visitors can sometimes give out of date advice. The six month guideline is there for a reason and whilst it is not a hard and fast rule for every baby as they are all different, there are reasons behind it which might be more important for a preemie baby (there is a theory that a baby's gut is 'open' up until at least 4 months, but may be up until 6 months and during this period of being open, giving solid food can cause allergies - if your baby is early, I am not sure whether this means their gut is 'open' for longer and therefore this window for introducing allergies may be longer). Weaning is a very controversial subject and you will get loads of people saying they weaned their baby or they were weaned before 6 months and are absolutely fine, so it is very difficult to know what to do for the best.

Another thing to watch for is growth spurts - babies have loads in their first few months, and quite often these are mistaken as being signs of being 'ready' for solids. A more important sign, as Glitterbug said, is the baby being able to sit up and hold their head up. If they can take finger food and bring it to their mouth then they are probably ready.

Sorry to gatecrash and I don't know loads about early babies but my concern would be that the HV might not either. So I would do some research and maybe speak to a doctor or an up to date health / nutrition organisation.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    Hi

My baby was 6 weeks prem weighing 3 lb 10. I contacted BLISS for advice on weaning and also my hv. They both said to wait until around 6 months actual age from birth. I started giving my daughter babyporridge at 5 and a half months from birth as she was ready. Has taken to it like a duck to water and is now on 2 meals a day.

Try ringing BLISS for advice. Xx
  • Options
    Yes. Definitely seek advice from someone who deals specifically with premature babies as the rules are a bit different and it goes on actual age rather than corrected. Contacting bliss is good advice