Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Baby hates my cooking :(

I started weaning my LO four weeks ago (he's just over 6 months old now) and it's not going well image He's a really hungry baby for milk but he hates everything home made. If I give him a jar or a yogurt it's a different matter and he inhales it but if I try giving him a home made puree he just spits it out. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I'm so fed up and feel awful that he won't eat anything I cook. Can anyone help me?

Frustrated mummymouse imageimageimage

Replies

• Options

hi,

dun worry u r not the only one! both my kids hated my cooking!!! it is just a phase!!! i always compare my friend's babies to mine and they always eat their food..... i felt so depressed.... now if they (3 yr and 19 mth)dun eat, i just give them replacement like their fav milk and vitamin. as long as they have fruit, milk and breakfast cereal, i'm happy.

u take it easy. as long as he is happy and not under weight. it should be alright.

my son used to hate veg and meat. so he didnt eat for at least 14 mths, and now he is so happy to eat it. my daughter used to love meat until 14 mth, now she wont touch it at all! and she will eat jar food.

hope this help!

• Options

They do go through fads with their eating.

I found with the jar food or fresh they seemed to like one or the other ,depending what they were used to.My eldest had only homemade,so if I ever tried to give him a jar if we were out,he'd refuse.He 's actually be sick.

With my younger children I gave a mixture  of both because I knew I'd need to use jars as we'd be camping when they were that age,and I had no way of making fresh.I did want them eating fresh though so I gave both.The texture is very different,jars have little texture.

I'd keep trying homemade,and your baby will get used to it.He's still just starting,but you may find him more willing to try all sorts once he can sit up and put things in his mouth himself.

• Options

Have you tried adding plenty of his usual milk to the food so it tastes more familiar?  It was what I had to do with my eldest.  Also my youngest 2 girls both refused any form of food until they were over 7mths and then would only accept milky cereals to begin with and I had to gradually try to introduce pureed veg and fruit into it and reduce the milk.  Eventually at about 8mths for them both they just decided to grab a piece of carrot or a handful of mashed potato off my plate and started eating it themselves!  I used to offer them food but they rarely had much, my health visitor told me not to worry as long as they were eating mainly solids by 9mths, at 3yrs and 15mths they are now refusing milk but eat a wide variety of foods and my youngest will eat as much as her 4 1/2yr old sister sometimes.

6months is still young, keep offering but don't worry too much,one day it will be too interesting to refuse!  Try sitting him at the table whilst you eat and offer little bits of your dinner if he is showing he wants to try it.  Not one of my children has eaten well if I wasn't eating too and their dinner is never as interesting as mine but if it gets them to try the food I'm happy to lose half my dinner sometimes.  I also never refuse them a taste of anything we are eating if they ask for it.  My eldest had a chilli crisp at 11mths and now wants to try Daddy's curries (loved the korma, drank all the mango lassi and wasn't too sure about samosas).

Hope it goes well! xx