Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

i dont know what do to

my little girl is on 8 oz every 4 hours but isnt satifyed but has 9oz and spits it back up my hv said i can start on baby rice but everyone eles is telling me not to, she doesnt sit up on her own but stares at anyone with food and drink shes only just found her toys and her hand eye co-ordination isnt there just yet she ust to sleep any where around 7 -8.30pm to 6-7am she now wakes up but i just put her dummy back in and shes fine again but its gettin more constant with waking up, shes does put her hands in her mouth alot but i put that down to teething as she dribbles alot need help i dont know what to do

Replies

• Options

Hi, How old is your little one? My LOs showed interest in food early on and I started weaning from around the back end of 4 months- 5months with them. If you feel she would benefit, just try her with a little baby rice, just the tip of a spoon to start with to see how she gets on with it, then gradually build it up. All babies are different and although guidelines say to wait until 6 mnths some are ready to wean a little earlier. Go with your instincts if you feel she is ready, give it a go! Good Luck! image

• Options

I started weaning at 12 weeks and my little one did just fine. Wouldnt recommend it before then though really. Have you tried hungry baby milk? x

• Options

Why don't you try less ounces more frequently so rather than 8-9 ever 4 hours try 6-7 every 3 hours and see if she manages that ok, or even try 8 ounces every 3 hours. You dont say how old your little one is but it could be a growth spurt.  I really wouldn't wean early if you can avoid it, there's a reason the guidelines say 6 months. 

• Options

That does not sound out of the ordinary, my LO seemed to constantly want milk! Id read the quide lines about waiting till 6 months but i decided to start weaning at 17 weeks. We soon got into a better routine and our weaning journey is going well, my son is much more content and has had no health problems. I wouldnt reccomend starting before 17 weeks but do whatever is best for you and your baby and good luck x

• Options

You've done all the right things, you've discussed the issue with your HV, you know your baby better then anyone and if you feel she requires a little extra then do so, everyone had their own opinion and experiences with it but all babies are different and grow at different rates. if you have real concerns then hold off but I know many people who have started weaning at an earlier age then suggested by guidelines and they have happy healthy children! Good luck with whatever you decide x