Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Finger Food

Hello everyone, 

My 10 month old used to eat purees really well but has since turned his nose at them, and clamps his mouth shut when I try to give him anything lumpy. BUT he loes finger food, so I've started going down a BLW route. I just wanted to know if anyone else is doing BLW and what do you give your babies?. I'm worried that I'm giving him the same things all the time, could do with some ideas!

Thanks. 

Replies

• I give mine cheese cut up really small, banana, gerber puffs, hard boiled egg etc

• cucumber, home made hummus on toast fingers, roasted peppers and sweet potatoes, cooked broccoli, carrot sticks. mango, I make little cous cous balls using couscous, veg and a little grated cheese then bind with a little egg white, roll in to balls and cook in the oven until golden. these are good for texture!! Also courgette polpetti! a Hugh Fernley Whittingstall recipe from his Baby and Toddler Cook Book is a firm favourite!!

• little toast soldiers with jam or butter or cheese spread, or sandwiches with jam or cheese spread cut in to fingers. little bits of cheese, i also gave her little bits of melon thinly sliced and carrots that had been sliced and cooked. little crisps and biscuits, cereals maybe? x

• Here is a list of some favourites with my 8 month old that you could try if you havent already...

Toast, crusty bread, new potatoes cut into wedges, green beans, pita bread, carrot sticks, rice cakes, cucumber (also great when they are teething) chicken, cheese, sweet potatoe, tomatoes, also heinz do a lovely range of baby biscuits for a treat! Ive also just tried my LO on garlic bread which proved to be a big hit! 

Would love to get some more ideas myself so looking forward to what others have to offer x

• I make homemade cheese straws:

110g plain flour (extra for the work surface).

55g butter (cut into pieces)

75g grated cheese

1 egg 

dash of milk if mixture is too dry after mixing.

1) mix butter and flour together

2) add beaten egg and grated cheese into butter and flour bowl. Mix until smooth dough is formed

3)spinkle flour onto work surface and then roll out dough onto the floured surface. Roll out quite thin the cut into straws

4) place into lightly greased baking sheet.

5) cook 8-10 mins at 220 degrees (do not brown too much)

6)allow to cook on rack.

These freezes well.

I would also let him dip cheese straws into the purees for him to feed himself and this worked well.

• My son loves grated apple or pear cheese on toast.

what you need

Grate one small apples and enough cheese for two pieces of bread. mix the apple together with the cheese. load onto bread and grill.

• Harjeet, your cheese and apple on toast looks lovely,I'm thinking its a great snack for both parents and baby to share. I can imagine it introduces a great combination of flavours and as the baby gets older you could perhaps add some pepper, ceyenne pepper, mustard or even a bit of chilli if appropriate. Might have a slice for my supper image

• That apple and cheese on toast looks amazing!

I'm going to try right now image

• Using beetroot with the apple or instead of it, is really tasty too! image

• I made cauliflower and potato cheese bake for my son yesterday, who is nearly 10 months and he loved the asparagus that he had as veg on the side as finger food! 

• Henry loves cooked pasta too x x
  • Wow all those cheesy recipes are making my hips and bum grow!!!

A favourite in our house is cucumber sticks, cheese sticks, ham cubed, cherry tomatoes halved. Good luck image