Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

starting my 2 month baby onto baby rice

My little girls 2 month next week she has 6oz bottles every 2/3 hours and empties them completely im going to start her with a small spoon of baby rice on a night and see how she goes on it, does anyone have any advice on it and how young were your babies when you started them if your in or were in the same situation as me.

Replies

• Options

Two months is very young to start. There's a lot of research showing an increased risk of allergies and bowel problems if you start before four months. My DD is BF but 2/3 hourly feeds are totally normal at two months old. Have you tried giving her a little more milk at each feed, or a hungry baby formula? TBH baby rice contains far less calories than milk so a spoonful of rice isn't going to help much if she's hungry. 

• Options

I agree that two months does seem young. My LO was BF and went through stages of feeding every hour and i often felt like weaning early but we kept going and slowly started at 17 weeks. I Would try increasing her milk as this will be much better for her than forcing baby rice on her when shes not ready.

• Options

2 months is way to young to start weaning.  The earliest you should wean is 17 weeks and preferably you should wait until 26 weeks (6 months).  You are putting your baby at risk of all kinds of problems - some of which won't present until adulthood.  If baby is hungry increase the amount of milk you give her.  If she is really hungry then try hungry baby milk.  6oz every 2-3 hours isn't excessive and she may be experiencing a growth spurt!

• Options

I know many people who have successfully started weaning from 3 months onwards... Guidelines are just guidelines, all babies are different but I do agree that 2 months may be a tad premature! So long as weight gain is good just persevere for a bit longer then try in a few more weeks? Good luck! 

• Options

awwww blesss does she like it hun xx

• Options

I weaned at 3 months I don't think she would have managed it any sooner. I'd try and wait a bit if you can but if not make sure the baby rice is very soft and smooth and plenty of baby milk in it x

• Options

The guidelines are in place because of medical understanding and science.  6 months is recommended because that is when medical experts can be 100% certain that it is safe to wean.  It is explicit that you should not wean before 17 weeks at the earliest because the stomach and digestive system are not mature enough to handle it.  Babies go through a number of growth spurts - this doesn't mean you need to give food.  Yes it's tough giving milk all the time but that is part and parcel of having a baby and surely you want them to be as healthy as possible and while you may not see the adverse effects of early weaning now you may be causing terrible problems for your child during their adulthood.  As long as baby is drinking - even if it is hourly, continuing to gain weight and is pooping and weeing then their is no need to give food - up the ounces of milk or give hungry baby milk!  At the very least you should consult a dr before going ahead with baby rice so they can tell you how harmful your crazy decision to wean at 8 weeks old is!!! 

• Options

Definitely wait!! 2 months is too early! I agree that hungry baby milk and larger amounts of it are your best option until your LO is at least past 4 months.

• Options

Why don't you go to see your Health Visitor, they should give you some advice on feeding and weaning. As the other Mums have said, 2 months is far too young to start weaning, the baby's digestive system is not mature enough to cope with foods other than milk. You need some help and advice, I really think the Health Visitor would be able to offer you this. Good luck, and let us know how you do get on.

• Options

Have a look here Aimee, the advice from other mums and health professionals might help

http://www.babyexpert.com/baby/weaning/when-should-I-start-to-wean-my-baby

• Options

Hi Aimee, 

Just wondering how you and your little one are getting on? Did you start weaning or did you wait a while. Hope that whatever you decided is working for you both, please let us know how you are doing. x  

• Options

two months is way to young. my little boy whos 2 was almost 10lbs at birth and always took a large amount of milk. i felt the need to wean him early but i put him on a hungry baby milk and it worked like a charm! you should give that a shot or see what your health visitor says. but you should not wean until at least 17 wks

• Options

I'm in the same boat now as you were three years ago.

Spoke to my health visitor as my 8 week old LO was on 5oz of hungry baby formula and still hungry. She told me to up his milk to 6oz and start baby rice in the evening then introduce some porridge in the morning after a week or so.

My LO slept 7 1/2 hours during the first night on 1 tspn of baby rice with 2/2 1/2 tblespns of his milk and a 6oz bottle of hungry baby. 

As my health visitor said every baby is different, some advance quicker than others. If you have a hungry baby that's ready for weaning don't let them go hungry until their 6 months!!

If done gradually and adjusting if needed baby will be fine they are just little humans after all and their digestive system will adjust. It is just the same as someone being vegetarian for years then suddenly going on to eat meat, if they eat to much too soon it will likely affect them than if they were just to start with a little bit and slowly increase.

Just make sure its at a consistency that they can take. And remember that baby food has to go through  so many tests to make sure its safe and suitable for them.

At the end of the day each mother knows their baby and has an idea of what they can handle. Its not normal to be up every hour during the night or day feeding a LO (unless newborn when their tummys are so small), it just means that they aren't having sufficient amount in the first place.

It's all about trial and error.

Trust your own instinct as your baby Is individual and one of a kind :)

• Options

Well I was weaned and all my siblings and husband at 3 months ... obviously I’m 28 now. Having spoken to people they have weaned at 2 months and had no problems. I think it depends on the baby! Can’t always go by textbook! We are not machines. But maybe 3 months 12 weeks. x