Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What times do you do meals?

Another question from me! What times should my DD be eating? We're doing a combination of BLW and purees, and are trying to give three meals a day but she's not always keen. Also, when should she be having bottles? I feel like weaning has thrown our routine out of the window.

Replies

• We're only on 2 meals a day so far but our routine is:- 8-9am 8oz bottle.  12-1 Lunch.  3:30-4pm 8oz bottle.  6pm dinner.  7:30-8pm 4oz bottle.  10:30-11pm 8oz bottle.  Will be giving breakfast soon and will give it about 9:30am. X

• Hi there,

We're a bit further on (almost 6 weeks in!), but I have always tried to do 3 meals per day. porridge and/or fruit at breakfast time (usually 9ish), something savoury lunchtime (12.30ish) and then tea at 5.30pm-ish.

I am breast feeding still, so she has milk at about 7am when we wake, mid-morning snack, mid afternoon and then last feed before bed. Plus a feed in the night.

I've found that there are no hard and fast rules! At this early stage I felt that it was more about my daughter getting used to have solid food in her mouth, and experiencing the tastes and textures, plus the concept of having 3 sit down meals a day image

• With my son I started off on just one meal a day then built it up until we settled into a routine. At 8 months old he now has three meals a day plus an afternoon snack (and sometimes the odd treat image) We have breakfast between 7 and 8, lunch at about 12 then tea between 5 and 6

• I do the same as jodie-lou. i find these times are good to work naps around, etc. but don't get to worried if you don't stick fast to them, as every day is different! My LO sometimes has mega naps and sleeps right through lunch which means i then move the meal times forward a bit!! image

• I started off at one meal a day from 21 weeks (lunch) and then from 6 months he went onto 3 meals a day with pudding at dinner.

I give my little on milk (BM) at 5:30- 6am when he wakes and then he goes back to sleep until 7-7:30am. Then straight away after brushing teeth, I feed him breakfast (to start with he had very little for breakfast), the sometimes he will have milk at 10-10:30am (although he has dropped this feed now at 8 months), lunch is between 11:30-1:30pm (depends on what we are doing, classes/out and about), milk about 30 mins after lunch and then he naps. At 3-4pm he has a snack and water (fruit, cheese straws, bread stick, rice cake, cheese etc) and then has his dinner at 6 and bed time milk at 7-7:15pm

It takes time. It took me 2 months to get him settled into a routine. It was difficult when I first started weaning as he really persisted on having milk rather than food! But I kept him occupied while introducing food to him, I have a bubble machine that I put on for a few seconds and he gets interested in the bubbles and has a spoonful of food!

You have to find what suits you and your baby and once you have got the timings, stick to them to get the little one into a routine.

Good Luck

• If your not sure, and wanna be certain that your baby eats enough and healthy you should use this: http://earlystart.me/ Request an invite and they'll give you access to their app by e-mail. It helped me a lot during the first months after introducing solids it tells you exactly the amounts that your baby has to eat (milk+solids). Maybe it gives you some inspiration!