Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What time are meal times?

Would anyone be able to share their baby's daily routine in terms of meals and milk? I'm not at all sure that we're getting the timings right here!

Replies

• Hi Twinkletoes, there is no set formula for this it comes down to what works best for you & your family.  Typically, my girls have breakfast when they wake up at around 7am which includes cereal or toast, they then have a 'snack' at around 9.30-10am, we will have lunch around 12.30-1pm which normally includes sandwiches or other pastry snacks (crumpets/croissants/muffins), we have another 'snack' around 3-3.30pm & then we have dinner at around 5-5.30pm.  Finally we have a beaker of warm milk at 7pm ready to go to bed.

You know your own child & how little/much they will eat/drink so adapt your routine to fit.  If baby isn't fond of drinking milk then offer milk based products such as yogurt, fromage frais, cereal with milk instead.

• Its really hard to get right at first but you will soon get into a routine that you and your baby are happy with.  I found at first that my son wouldnt eat much food as he was still full from his milk feeds, but then on the other hand if he hadnt had enough milk then he would be far too hungry for solids. It took about 5 or 6 weeks for us to work out whats best. I now find snacks really usefull to keep him going for longer then he eats better at meal times. Good luck image

• I agree with Jodie-lou.

I give my little on milk (BM) at 5:30- 6am when he wakes and then he goes back to sleep until 7-7:30am. Then straight away after brushing teeth, I feed him breakfast (to start with he had very little for breakfast), the sometimes he will have milk at 10-10:30am (although he has dropped this feed now at 8 months), lunch is between 11:30-1:30pm (depends on what we are doing, classes/out and about), milk about 30 mins after lunch and then he naps. At 3-4pm he has a snack and water (fruit, cheese straws, bread stick, rice cake, cheese etc) and then has his dinner at 6 and bed time milk at 7-7:15pm

It takes time. It took me 2 months to get him settled into a routine. It was difficult when I first started weaning as he really persisted on having milk rather than food! But I kept him occupied while introducing food to him, I have a bubble machine that I put on for a few seconds and he gets interested in the bubbles and has a spoonful of food!

• If your not sure, and wanna be certain that your baby eats enough and healthy you should use this: http://earlystart.me/ Request an invite and they'll give you access to their app by e-mail. It helped me a lot during the first months after introducing solids it tells you exactly the amounts that your baby has to eat (milk+solids). Maybe it gives you some inspiration!