Forum home Babies Weaning

Perioral Dermatitis caused by food intolerance.

My eldest has an intolerance to foods such as apples, pears and peppers which brings her out in perioral dermatitis, which is a rash around her mouth and nose. although I try and avoid the main foods that cause it. It flares up with other foods i cannot pinpoint too. has anyone else experienced this and how have you treated it? My GP has given me a mild steroid cream but i don't really like using it much and would like some more natural options to sooth it, if anyone has any recommendations. Thanks. image

Replies

• You could try some Aqueous Cream on the rash. You can use it as a cream or to wash your LOs face with. It isn't a 'natural' opition as such, but it is obviuosly less harsh than a steroid cream. You can buy it over the counter or get it on prescription from you Doctor/Health Visitor.

Does the doctor think it will get better with age?

Have you got food allergies too?

How did you discover what was the cause of the rash?

Annabel has mild eczema, I am worried about her being allergic to foods in the future. As we are only in the early stages of weaning she has only had limited exposure to food groups so far, but am woried about dairy, fish and meats etc.

• Hi Nicola! Yes, I am using a cream called double base which is an aqueous type of cream, but still have to use steroid creams and give my LO antihistamines when it flares up too. Both my LOs have a little eczema too, although this has got much better as they have got older, and is almost gone, my doctor told me that many LOs grow out of it.My eldest started getting a really bad rash around her mouth during the early stages of weaning, and it got quite bad before I cut out anything tomato based, which is what she has an allergy too. I soon found that red peppers and fruits such as apples and pears, uncooked, caused breakouts too. My eldest is now 3 but has been suffering really badly from it lately, bless her,it comes and goes but obviously now she is a toddler it is even harder to pinpoint other causes, although I know it is mainly acidic foods. Using any childrens toothpaste containing SLS triggers it too. My youngest LO is allergic to egg, although I have been told she will probably grow out of it, I will avoid giving it to her for a couple of years..I have an appointment to get her tested for other allergies soon as something is brings her out in hives! image

• I am allergic to cocoa, if i eat anything with it in I suffer from mild anaphylaxis, I did not give any to my eldest until she was over 2 and a half  as I was worried she would have a reaction, and now i only ever give her a very little bit of dark chocolate (higher cocoa content has less sugar in) as a treat sometimes, I will do the same with my youngest too.

• Hi, I suffered with perioral dermetitis for about a year, I was back and forth to my gp he diagnosed it wrongly And gave me tablets and creams that never worked.  I suffered with ezema to so I was using my steriod cream to try and help, it would bring temporary Relief but would reoccur a few days later.

I then insisted on being referred to a dermatologist. He diagnosed perioral dermatitis  and prescribed me: 

Dalacin T topical lotion (clindamycin)

he also told me not to use any steriod on perioral dermatitis as it makes it worse! 

I also bought a natural soap off eBay:

10% Sulphur and 3% Salicylic Acid Soap, it also contains zinc. 

the combination of using these 2 cleared it up within 2 weeks I have now been clear for more than 5 months!  I still use the soap daily! 

So I would suggest getting a referral to a dermatologist for a 2nd opinion. 

Hope this helps. X 

• Hi Nat1980, thank you! My LO has just recently been perscribed Dalacin T too, so it is starting to look better. I questioned the GP several times when they perscribed steroids as I had read they often trigger or makes it worse, but they said weaker ones would be ok, but I do not like using them. Thanks for your advice! image