Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Egg Allergy!

I have found my youngest (11 months) has an egg allergy, she doesn't even have to eat it, as soon as it touches her lips her eyes she gets swollen and she gets an itchy mouth!  Has anyone else experienced this?..and if your children are older did the symptoms ease or did they grown out of it?

Replies

• Phew!! Mia has grown out of her egg allergy! Only found this out recently when her Daddy accidentally gave her egg without thinking when I was out!! (thank God she didn't have a reaction!!) So glad, and she loves her eggs now too!! image

• Daddy would have been in trouble if she still had been allergic to eggs!! ha ha. You can always ask to be seen at the allergy clinic again so that they can do allergy tests to ensure that she has indeed grown out of the allergy.

A lot of babies grow out of allergies (not nut allergies), but it is really important that if you're Lo has had an allergy to get them checked out at the allergy clinic, just to be on the safe side!  x

• Hi girls! 

I'm a little worried about Bert having an egg allergy as his Dad had a serious egg allergy as a child. He's only 5 months at the moment, and just having veg purees and baby rice at the mo - but I was wondering if you have any advice on when/how to give him egg, or should I just avoid it altogether until he's older? 

I'd really appreciate any advice you can give

Lucy x

• Hi Lucy. I would suggest taking him for an allergy test before introducing eggs, just incase he has a severe reaction.  Visit your GP who will refer you. I hope everything goes well! image

• Hi ThinkWeiss - that's a great idea - i actually didn't know you can get allergy tests for little ones, so thats really cool. I really just want to know either way, I don't want to be worrying for nothing, but also don't want to risk giving it to him in case he has a convulsion like his dad did. Have any of you had the allergy tests? What do they entail? x

• I would also suggest keeping some piriton in the house just in case there is an allergic reaction. It would help xx

• Thanks Emlowe - I will definitely get some piriton and keep it handy! I'm going to talk to the GP next time I visit about getting him allergy tested - I'm in no rush though - he's still on purees and porridge at the moment, and eating it all happily, so I won't rush to introduce egg. x