Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

8 months and teething

The last few days I've found my LO is off his food, I'm sure its because he is teething (after his top two teeth) has anyone else come across this problem or does anyone have any solutions? He has had some cold cucumber which he seems to enjoy sucking but he doesn't seem to want to eat. He was fussy when his two bottom teeth came through but is much worse this time.

Replies

• Hi Jodie-lou, sadly children will respond to teething in their own way with some not wanting to eat/chew anything to relieve the pain whilst others want to gnaw on everything they can get near their mouth.  Again the teeth being cut can cause differing amounts of pain (Is it just 1 tooth or several teeth trying to cut & where they are positioned).

My eldest cut her 1st tooth at 6mths old & the rest followed one by one in pretty much text book fashion until they were all through at 2yrs old.

My youngest cut her 1st tooth at 9wks (yes weeks) old on the bottom (same as her sister) but we then waited until she was 9mths old before the other front 3 decided to emerge together in unison, she then cut 4 of her molars at 13mths old, her canines came through in pairs (bottom ones at 17mths, top ones at 18mths) & now at 21mths old she has almost all her milk teeth (just one still to fully descend).

You can try some calpol to relieve pain, bongela or other teething gels can help too.  Still offer food as normal but don't force eating (as long as LO is still drinking plenty) they will eat when hungry.

• His top two middle teeth are coming through at the same time. He has been eating strawberries out the fridge today and he seems to enjoy them, not sure if its the cold or the sweetness distracting him. Ive also put teething gel on just before I've fed him today and it seems to help a little (enough for him to have a few mouth fulls anyway)

• My eldest was the same when she was teething (her first tooth appeared at 7 months). There would be days when she would only want to drink milk and eat cold yoghurts!! I would just offer her foods I thought would be easy to eat and give her pain relief when she needed as well as vitamin drops to make sure she was getting nutrients where she was not eating! One thing she loved was when i made her little homemade fruit puree and yoghurt ice lollies. Really soothed those sore gums! My youngest is nearly 12months old and I am still waiting for her first tooth to pop up!! She is teething badly at the moment so fridge is full of yoghurts, cucumber and carrot sticks!! image