Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Food hangups

I am just intrigued to see what other folk allow their baby to consume or not consume! I think I am quite relaxed - my 8mth old has had icecream and a little chocolate, but I am not planning on allowing her anything other than water and breast milk/formula to drink for quite a while.

Not really sure where my views have come from, but I'd like to hear what other Mums and Dads have to say!

Replies

• I was really strict with my first LO as I had read so much about weaning and foods that cause allergies etc.I did not give her any wheat and hardly any dairy based products before 12 months, and waited a bit longer than guidlines said to give foods such as eggs and honey, etc! I tried to do all organic and would not let her have foods in restaurants as i did not know its salt /sugar content, which i avoided! (I know a little neurotic!) I am a bit more relaxed with my 2nd LO!! Although I try to avoid salt &sugar and if i do bake/cook and add something sweet I use agave or coconut blossom nectar. I avoid processed foods and refined wheat products. As I have a cocoa allergy, I will wait until my LO is 2yrs before letting her try it, and then like her sister i will give her a little dark choc as it has less sugar.

• With mine I have a no chocolate before age 1 thing in my head. Then on their birthday they can have (birthday) cake for the first time. Then it's just treats.  And we don't give chocolate bars but do allow ice cream in the summer. 

We only give water / milk at home but if our toddler is offered squash when out she can have it. She's 2 and I tried her with some peanut butter but not exposed my 10month old to nuts, will do post a year I think. 

Im fairly "strict" compared to what I've seen but I don't ban items.