Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sleeping through

My daughter is 8 months old, and she has not been the best at sleeping through. She goes down about 7pm, and usually wakes up around midnight and 4am, and I end up breast feeding her. So whilst seeing the nurse yesterday, she suggested that I feed my LO some solids just before going to bed and then offer the final feed.

So, that's what I did! She had her savoury main at about 5.30pm, and the I gave her fruit and yogurt at 6.45pm, followed by her bedtime milk feed and that was the last I heard of her until 5.20am!!

Here's hoping the same happens tonight...............

Replies

• Don't really want to jinx this, but I have had another night's full sleep! There have been 2 main changes that I have made - her savoury dish at teatime has been protein rich (scrambled eggs & beans and bolognaise) and I have waited to feed her pudding just before going to bed. So not sure if it is a coincidence, combination or if just one of these changes has helped!

Not going to rock the boat, so will be continuing along this path!!

Has anyone else found ways/food/routines that have really helped them with sleep or any other situation?

• Protein and complex carbohydrate heavy meals will keep her fuller for longer and filling her with food before bed will stop her getting up as quick. my sister did this with her little one (who is 2 in Aug) on the advice of her health visitor and it worked. 

Good luck with longer sleeps image

I need to start doing this, but I also need him to sleep in his own cot!

• My youngest LO has always had a problem sleeping through, I recently dropped breastfeeding her at night and gave her more to eat in the evening along with a good drink of milk/water in her sippy cup and she started sleeping a lot better!! but lately during this heat she has been waking up frequently during the night for water as she is so thirsty! Heres hoping things will return to normal once the temperature dies down, we are both tired! image

• Think I jinxed it................... but we have also had visitors, and you're right about this fab weather having an effect!

I must start to remember to take a drink of water up for her in the night, as this was another suggestion from the health visitor, so she isn't waking for comfort from me! So it is good to hear that this does work!

I also need to be stronger - she is pretty good, waking at 3ish (having gone down at 7ish), so I feed her (will change this to water tonight!), I'll put her back down, but then awake at 5, and then NOT going back to sleep. Having some very long days!!!

Have bought some lentils, so looking forward to trying some of your recipes on the recipe thread!

• My little one slept through from 9:15 to 5:30 last night and in his own cot (been there a week now). For dinner he had courgette, mushroom and quorn chicken strips, wonder if the high protein helped or its just a one off!

• I have been having a nightmare with Annabel of late, she is refusing to go to sleep and once she does she wakes up every few hours. I read this thread and have tried to give her a heavier meal before bed and a longer milk feed, I think this is helping but it's hard to say at this stage.

I try not to breast feed her over night but sometimes she is ravenous and has a massive feed when I do give in. It is trial and error with what every you do and at every stage. I thought it might have been cheese that was making her unsettled, or that she was hungry, but sometimes there is no logical reason.

• I have finally got my lo to sleep through thanks to an evening snack. I wish I had tried it sooner and saved myself many sleepless nights!! I hadnt discussed it with a health visitor as I felt useless as all my friends babies slept well from a young age so its down to all the great advice from mums on here that Im finally sleeping!! image

• My little one is nearly 12 months and he is a terrible sleeper. He goes down between 7-7:30pm. however, is wants to be nursed to sleep. he then will sleep between one to 3 hours and start crying. I try cuddle him to settle him, but he does not stop crying. Only when I nurse him he calms down and usually within 2-10 mins back to sleep. After 12am he gets up between 3-5 times and it's the same thing, wants to be nursed to sleep. I have tried feeding him loads before bed, but nothing works. He has been getting up more since he has had his bugs and flu in the last month. No good for WMD as I have gone back to work and i calculated I must have had max 3-4 hours of broken sleep before having to go to work. i just can't survive like this image

• Harjeet I really feel for you. For months I was lucky if I had three hours sleep. He too would only settle if nursed to sleep. I had got him into a routine of going to sleep on his own but since going on holiday last week he has gone back to being nursed to sleep. Going to use the same process as before and hopefully he will get back to going to bed on his own again soon as he sleeps for longer then. I dont how how you do it when you have to work, im lucky that I dont work anymore. I dont think I would have been able to function if I had gone back!

• I really need him to be able to settle himself to sleep at home as I do a lot of traveling with work and I will have to start going back to the office in The Netherlands! I was worried he would not sleep at nursery but he sleeps there fine, he settles himself!

•  

Wow I was hoping that reading this would make me feel better and hopeful, but actually it has just depressed me!! lol I was hoping that Annabel not sleeping was a phase and that she would go back to that wonderful little baby who slept through until her 4am feed from 7pm, then went back off to sleep until 09:00. My friends use to call us rotten as they were up 4-5 times over night, well now it's my turn to be a zombie and get no sleep. It is not food related, she has a huge meal before bed, goes to sleep on a full tummy. I'm hoping that her lack of sleep is a phase, as I am truly exhausted. Harjeet, good luck I really do feel for you!!