Forum home Babies Weaning

Throwing food on floor phase

Recently my son who is 8.5 months old has decided it is fun to throw food and toys from his highchair. I do a combination of spoon feeding and baby led weaning. when he has finger food he will nibble a little and then dangle it at the side of the highchair, look at me and then throws it on the floor. I don't react and tell him off, just pick it up and carry on.

How long will this continue and at what time do you start trying to explain not to throw food on the floor? Any ideas of how to distract him or discourage him in doing this?

Replies

• We are going through the same stage, he has been doing it for about four weeks now and thinks its funny everytime he throws something on the floor. Its become a game for him, everytime I pick it back up he throws it back down. He does get round to eating his food but meal times are taking much longer! I would be interested to hear any tips of moms that have already gone through this stage.

• I have found putting on the bubble making machine encourages him to eat, but I agree that they think its a game!

• My LO is terrible for it! She does it for attention, or with food she does not want. If my Mum or husband tell her firmly 'No, don't do that' she looks down then bursts in to tears, but if I tell her no she laughs/shouts and does it more, little monkey! If I sit with her and engage with her while she is eating I find her less likely to do it, I sometimes put on a CD of rhymes and sing along with it too while she eats and she enjoys that and does not throw anything. Otherwise I take the food away, wait for her to calm down, then bring the food back and she usually eats it. image

• Nearly 12 months and he is still doing this and doing it more!