Forum home Babies Weaning

vegetable-chilli-

A favourite in our family is vegetable chilli, its great as you dont need to follow a recipe and you can put in whatever veg you have. Im very luck that my dad has an allotment so I have a lovely supply of fresh fruit and veg thats in season. I make a large saucepan full then take a few portions out for marley before adding lots of extra chilli for the rest of the family. (Marley has a now started having a bit of chilli in his but not too hot) the only other ingredients I add every time is fresh tomatoes and a small tin of tomatoe puree to make a sauce so the chilli is not too dry. Along with fresh chilli, chilli powder, kidney beans and pinto beans.

Ive made some this morning using... corgettes, sweet potato, peppers, red onion, spring onion, green beans, sweetcorn, and peas.

I find its a great way to introduce different veg and i serve it in wraps, with rice, with jacket potato or with nachos and cheese

Replies

• Sounds Yummy! image

• Yes, this sounds delish!

Am planning on making a pot of tomato sauce up this week to freeze, and think I will make half of it into a mild chilli. Yum yum yum image

• I hope the chilli went down well krh x

• I love it that Annabel is starting to eat with us and eat what we do. So far we have given her lamb hot-pot, chicken in ginger and spring onion and the sauce and pasta from a carbanora - which she loved. I think by introducing your LOs to lots of flavours and spices early ensures that they will grow to enjoy a wide variety of foods and eat family meals. Your Chilli looks lovely and great that it is all fresh from the allotment. Yum yum.

• Nicola, when you make the carbonara sauce, do you add the eggs into the sauce and just let the pasta to cook and heat the sauce. I was wondering because I don't give it to my little one as I was worried that the eggs may not have fully cooked through as I don't heat the sauce.

• Gosh Hargeet, I didn't really think about the cooking of the egg. We were in an Italian restaurant. To be honest the heat from the pasta and the cream would have heated/cooked the egg. Annabel was fine, she enjoyed it and only had a small amount.

If you are going to make it yourself I would heat the sauce just to on the safe side, I didn't give Annabel any of the bacon either. I am becoming quite relaxed about what we feed her, she enjoys virtually everything we give her.