Forum home Babies Weaning

how-to-deal-with-a-constipated-baby

I noticed a changed in my little ones bowel movements at 6 months when he started on 3 meals a day. After about a week the poo was like adult poo, no longer the runny slop that was presented for me in his nappy when he was just on breast milk.

Also, at times he was making straining noises when pooing and making funny faces. I felt bad for him as he at times looked like he was really struggling. 

Sometimes he would have tiny hard pellets for poo.

I gave him extra water throughout the day to make his stool softer and after his meals started giving him a little bit of fennel water to help with digestion.

Ingredients: 
  • 1-2 tablespoons fennel seeds
  • 1 litre water

Add fennel seeds to 1 litre of water, bring to boil. Once at boiling point, let to simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove from the flame. Strain the water into container.  Allow it to cool before giving to baby.

In the early days, prior to food, he would get build up of gas, I would get him lying on his back and move his legs in a circular motion.

Other things that I tried was massaging his tummy after a warm bath. Starting at the belly button  massage outwards in circles in a clockwise direction (oil or cream on your fingers will help to lubricate the skin and keep movements smooth and gentle). The bath would relax him and then the massage would help pass the stools much easily.

My friend has said that she has passed the area around the outside of the anus area and this has helped relieve symptoms of constipation. 

Prune juice or puréed pehas is a good way to relieve constipation.

There are certain foods that give rise to gas and constipation- potatoes, kidneys beans, chick peas, cauliflower,pasta, white bread. I would not give these foods while the has constipation or gas.

Also, if you are breast feeding, it is important what you eat as I found if I ate some of the above foods, my little one would end up getting gas.

It will be interesting to hear what you have tried to relieve symptoms of constipation.

Replies

• We were pretty lucky that he only suffered a little once he got to three meals a day. I found water the best solution, once we found the right cup and he started drinking more things soon started getting better. Also a little warm orange juice seems to do the trick

• I found moving my little ones legs gently in a bicycling motion would help as well as offering more water and lots of fruit such as pureed/stewed plums and prunes, as well as blueberries, pears, grapes, peaches and apricots. When weaning my first LO I went to the Dr when she had a particularly bad bout one time, and he gave me lactulose (a mild laxative for LOs-I used this when all else failed and LO was in real discomfort) a little of this also helped to get things moving.

• We did a baby yoga class from 7 weeks old and we did a move where you press their knees up towards their tummy then going clockwise make circlular movements. Of course he was still only on milk at this point but it got things moving and was great if he had trapped wind. Im not sure if it would work now though, would have to pin him down lol