Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Constipation and readymade food.

Just a thought image, but I have noticed that Annabel never really became constipated until I gave her pre-packed baby food to eat on holiday. When I cook my own food she has very regular motions of a good consistency, but while we were on holiday and she had readymade and pre-packed pouches/jars she got constipated. I wondered if I was just being  me paranoid or if anybody else has had similar experiences. Now back from holiday we are back on homemade purees so I will observe if she gets any further constipation.

Replies

• Hi Nicola! If Annabel is not used to eating pre-made pouches it may cause her to get a bit constipated, it also may be due to some of the ingredients in them too. I remember a couple of pouches containing potato used to bung up Lola when she first tried them. It used to be the other way with Mia, I found that some, especially fruit ones would make her poos really runny! image

• I am still convinced that when Annabel has pre-made meals she gets constipated. She has had more pouches/jars than normal over the past few days and today she was constipated again, but when I cook for her she is fine! Anybody else noticed this??

• I have never noticed any problems with ready made meal and wind. Does your little one get it with all ready Meade meals or certain ones? I wonder if its got something to do with an ingredient in the meal?

• I've never noticed a problem, and Flo had pretty much only jars when first weaning. However she did also have a good amount of fresh fruit/fruit purees, which would help with the amount of fibre, and she has always been a good water drinker which can make a difference. Plus she has been on cereal for breakfast every morning since the early days.