Forum home Babies Weaning

Cutlery Calamity!

After my LO doing so well with a spoon and beginning to master the fork..she has decided that now (at 13 months) they are best used for drumming/decorating the floor and has reverted back to using her fingers or will hand me the spoon so I can feed her (cheeky madame!) instead. I am still offering her a spoon to use and encouraging her and praising her when she does use it, but she is very stubborn, and is not having it at the moment! She is teething too which is not helping the situation either (I really had it easy with her older sister when i was weaning her, lol!). I think at the moment it will be a case of try, try, try and try again, but I don't want to push it to hard. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Replies

• I remember dropping my daughter off at nursery and one of her friends (in and out of nursery) was having a bit of a strop.  He was a similar age and didn't want to use his spoon at breakfast but it was either use the spoon or no breakfast, it might sound harsh but they were doing it in a calm way and I was really impressed... No wonder my daughter is so good with her cutlery!! So I've tried to do the same with my daughter, recently (around 23 months) she wanted "mummy help" IE I feed her but I refused because she can do it herself - I  would put it on the fork but she had to lift the fork to her mouth.  It took a few weeks for the phase to pass but it did thankfully image

• My eldest has also reverted to using her fingers and or her sisters soft feeding spoons. I think its because she sees her sister doing it all the time and wants to copy her!! I always thought the younger sibling did the copying!! I'm not giving her or it much attention at the minute. As long as her food is being eaten I'm not going to worry too much image x