Forum home Babies Weaning

fussy stage!!

My lo has always been a great eater but this last week he had hit a really fussy stage! He screams the house down in his high chair and pushes food away. He will take finger foods, have a taste and then chucks it on the floor and if i spoon feed him anything he starts blowing raspberries and it goes everywhere!! Is this just a phase? What solutions has anyone came up?

Replies

• Ah! I know this only too well! lol!! Don't worry it is a phase!  He isn't teething is he? My LO gets worse when she is teething! At the moment she has several coming and meal times are pretty tough!! My advice would be not to fret,don't keep offering him the food if he is agitated or upset and don't offer him a safe alternative you know he will eat instead, as this will just reinforce the behaviour. Take it away, let him calm down then when you feel he is ready offer it again and give him lots of praise when he does eat, but don't worry if he doesn't, he will eat when he is hungry! If he is teething, give him lots of gum soothing foods (cool cucumber sticks always a winner! with us!) good luck! image

• Thanks for the great advice, i noticed a tooth coming yesterday so hopefully once it cuts through things will improve. He has had his breakfast this morning with no problems so fingers crossed x

• My fingers are crossed! image My LO has 4 teeth I can see literally ready to burst through the gumline, and it looks like more are following suit! I really hope they pop up soon, as it seems to be taking forever! 

• Marley has five through already and the 6th is almost there! Looks like the next two could be soon though. poor little things!

• Oh bless him! hope he doesn't suffer too much! image

• I've always said if the baby or child was hungry they will eat. Not sure how old he is, but his teeth could be giving him grief. My some loves his dummy but when his teeth are pushing he pushes my hand away. X
  • Exactly as thinkweiss said. Don't let him get upset. You don't want him to associate mealtimes with being fed food he doesn't want. Be consistent don't offer alternatives and maybe some cool yoghurt will help xx